It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Murphy’s Xterra
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:39 am 
Club Secretary

No. He regeared his to 3.69. I think he bought Scott Farris’ 3.69/ARB R180A and matching M226 ring and pinion. This is his 3.36 that was left over. It matches my current stock Offroad/Auto gearing.

I considered 3.69’s. It’s perfect for Will because he is overlanding with his. 3.69 puts him back at stock gear ratio with 33’s. Perfect for lots of hiway driving and Offroad. I knew if I did 3.69’s now I’d never regear again. My X is slowly moving towards being a trailer rig. 3.69 wouldn’t make as much sense as 4.10 or 4.56.

I haven’t put myself into a situation that gearing was an issue yet. I don’t have any current plans to change to 35” tires. It’s in the back of my mind. But I’d definitely need to regear first.

On a side note. Titan stock UCA’s with Radflo 2.5 extended travel coilovers and a 1” top plate spacer will cause coil bucket contact. I may pull the spacer if it is an issue on road. There may be no contact with it removed.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am 
Club Vice President

I like you’re thinking on the gearing. Go to the 4.10s or better 4.56s if you’re regearing. The difference on the rocks is night & day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm 
Events Committee Member

4.56 gears sounds like a great thing to look forward to.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:55 am 
Club Secretary

A couple weekends ago I added in the single Deaver AAL’s I had into the X’s leaf packs. It fit nicely between the OEM leafs and the existing 2 leaf AAL. While I was at it I replaced all of the anti friction pads too. I didn’t bother painting the leafs or even dropping the main leaf. I have exactly the results I wanted. The rear isn’t so soft anymore. Either the bumper or the tools/trail spares/fluids would have been fine I’m sure. All of it together was just too much.

Today I swapped in new Titan outer tie rods. One of the ones I got from Phong’s rig was shot already. The other had a less than impressive boot on it. I’ve had these sitting around for a while, waiting for Titan SPC’s. Would make sense to put them all on at the same time. One alignment instead of 2. It doesn’t look like I’ll have the UCA’s before ECXC, so I just bit the bullet. In they went, and a tape measure in the driveway alignment. Good to go.

I’m also putting together a list of what to bring to ECXC. Food, beverage, tools and parts that are not daily carried, etc. Work has been pretty busy. I would be surprised if I have another day off before I leave on the 18th.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm 
Club Secretary

UPS dropped these off today. I just couldn’t pass up the deal. Someone on eBay had them for $120 off the going rate. Their the real thing. Tracking says they were drop shipped directly from SPC. The weather looks nice both Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. I’ll install them after work one of those days.

I’m still waiting on the travel correction brackets from Calmini. I ordered them on the 4th during their 10% off sale. They should give me similar travel to a Titan specific coilover, even though I’m using my extended travel Radflos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 am 
Supporting Member

I'd be curious on your travel numbers with the bracket..I did some reading on those a while back, I'd love to reuse my rads on a future titan swap..close to your set up.
murphy wrote:
UPS dropped these off today. I just couldn’t pass up the deal. Someone on eBay had them for $120 off the going rate. Their the real thing. Tracking says they were drop shipped directly from SPC. The weather looks nice both Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. I’ll install them after work one of those days.

I’m still waiting on the travel correction brackets from Calmini. I ordered them on the 4th during their 10% off sale. They should give me similar travel to a Titan specific coilover, even though I’m using my extended travel Radflos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:06 pm 
Club Secretary

I was curious about the correction brackets also. There is not much info on them anywhere. Figured I’d take the plunge. Besides, I spent the $$$ on the 2.5 extended travel coilovers. I didn’t want to spend that money again on Titan specific coilovers if a $90 + shipping part could work reasonably well. My only concern is the 650lb springs are too soft for the Titan swap and travel correction bracket together. The difference between stock width and Titan width was already noticeable. I’m sure I’ll need to swap springs if I ever add a bumper and winch to the equation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
I was curious about the correction brackets also. There is not much info on them anywhere. Figured I’d take the plunge. Besides, I spent the $$$ on the 2.5 extended travel coilovers. I didn’t want to spend that money again on Titan specific coilovers if a $90 + shipping part could work reasonably well. My only concern is the 650lb springs are too soft for the Titan swap and travel correction bracket together. The difference between stock width and Titan width was already noticeable. I’m sure I’ll need to swap springs if I ever add a bumper and winch to the equation.
I'd have to think about springs too, I'm running 550 I think...which have been great ,not too soft.
Keep us updated..maybe I can swing by during install..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:52 pm 
Club Secretary

You’re welcome anytime. I’ll try to post up once I have a shipping notification. Generally I try for either Saturday or Sunday afternoon wrench time. Saturday I’m off work at 2:30. Sunday is noon. Other than that it’s 5:30. Makes weekdays tough to want to wrench.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 am 
Club Secretary

I’ve had some time In the last couple weeks. In prep for B2SR I’ve taken care of a few things on my Xterra to do list. I installed the Calmini travel correction brackets, changed the front passenger wheel bearing, oil change, installed a 2005-2008 350Z thermostat, and swapped the LCA bumpstops between the Xterra and Frontier.

Besides mods, I’ve been chasing down an intermittent stalling issue. The X will stall at idle, at a stop light or the like. One at a time, I have swapped the notorious IPDM relay, the crank sensor, and the cam sensors. I changed the crank sensor first with no apparent difference. Changing the IPDM relay seemed like it did the trick. It ran great for about a week. It may just have been because I had the battery disconnected for a half hour for the swap. I believe it took a that long for the sensors to recalibrate. Finally I did the 2 cam sensors. It’s been running good for about a week. I have my fingers crossed.

The TCB’s came with no instructions. The install was pretty straight forward. It uses the OEM lower shock mount, a preexisting hole, and one new one I needed to drill. The premise is, to move the Titan stock LCA shock mount inward on the arm. To the X’s stock lower shock mount location.

The suspension before the swap.

SPC Titan UCA’s, Stock Titan LCA’s, Radflo 2.5” extended travel coilovers 650lb springs 5/16” thread below the adjustment collar, 1” lift top plate spacer, stock Offroad wheels, 33/12.5-16 MXT’s.

Top of tire to fender measurement at ride height.
7.5” Driver
7.5” Passenger

Full droop
10” Driver
9.75” Passenger

Suspension after the brackets.

Same as above, adding the brackets and removing the 1” spacer.

Tire to fender at ride height
7” Driver
7” Passenger
Full droop
11.75” Driver
11.75” Passenger

The coilover and top plate spacer wouldn’t fit in place together. I would have needed to disconnect the upper ball joint to install the assembly, then compress the coil to reconnect the ball joint. This would have caused binding of the ball joints and CV’s. Fortunately the coilover without the spacer is exactly the correct length. Because I lost roughly a half inch lift between removing the spacer and adding the brackets, I cranked the coilovers by a 1/4”. This brought me back to roughly 7.5” in the front and 7.75” in the rear. Since I’m at the same ride height, there was no need to realign, or adjust my headlights. Currently I have a 2:1 ratio of adjustment of the coilover to lift at the wheel. I chose top of tire to fender measurements because it is easy to get quickly. With the Titan swap, it is tough to get an accurate hub to fender measurement with the wheel on.

Correction brackets with the taller bumps

Front full droop

Because of the 1” top plate spacers, I had taller than OEM bumps on the X. Since I’m not using the lift spacers any longer, I found I was hitting the bump stops driving normally on the road. Since the Frontier has lift spacers on it, it seemed like the taller bumps would be more fitting on it instead. The Frontier OEM bumps are now on the X. Moved in about 1 1/2”, so they hit the striker more squarely.

The wheel bearing has been making more and more noise for the last few weeks. I used one of the 2 hubs I have on hand from Phong’s X. Both are OEM Timkens.

I chose the 350Z thermostat because it has the same housing as the VQ40’s but instead of a 180 degree temp, it is 170 degrees. I’m hoping this will keep my on the trail temps down. Generally the E-fan is running consistently. On at 221. Off at 207. Hopefully the earlier opening will give the cooling system a head start on keeping temps down.

The part I dreaded most about these projects is getting the radiator skid back on. I ended up putting a ratchet strap around the part that meets the frame. This was in order to pull it back together the 3/4” I needed to run the bolts back through.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 pm 
Club President

Wow! That's a lot of work, John. Did that creaking noise go away after fixing the front end?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 pm 
Events Committee Member

Nice !!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 pm 
Club Secretary

Mike, I think the creaking from ECXC comes and goes. Or I’m just used to it. I have a new one in the front passenger. I hope to have a minute tomorrow to pull it apart. I have a feeling it’s the SPC arm. I’ll try and hit it with more moly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 am 
Club Secretary

In my spare time I’ve been working on some auxiliary electrical for the X. I’m preparing for additional lighting, and I’d like to install an e-fan for additional engine cooling.

I cut out the little change trays to make room for some switches. I decided on this style panel because I’d like to slowly trade out the toggle switches with Carling style switches. Once I have loads hooked to each of the switch locations, I’ll order the final switches with the corresponding picture.

These are the fuses and relays. I had 8 of the relay sets already. I ordered more, so I could match the number of relays to the number of fuse locations. Now I have half a dozen spare relays and sockets. This panel is designed to fit behind the driver kick panel, above the pedals and below the steering shaft. The white wires will be signal voltage from each switch. The yellow will run to each load.

The panel is good for 100a total, 30a max per fuse. The relays are 30a max also. I chose these relays because they are a good match to the panel’s maximum amperage per leg and are easily swappable.

I still need to order 4awg welding cable, ring terminals, and a circuit breaker or fuse setup. I’m leaning towards a circuit breaker, for ease of use. I’ll probably get the final switches from the site CH4X4.com. They have an option to make custom switches with a picture of a 1st or 2nd gen Xterra.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:11 am 
Club Vice President

I know nothing about wiring but that looks impressive.

You should have a startup procedure like in planes where you toggle those switches on & off in a particular order before starting.... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next