It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

Post subject: Pic of me in practice before gearing up for a mogul comp...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm 
Forum User

Pic from last year, but skiing stronger and harder now thanks to a new trainer and some good physio therapy work: 30 days on snow so far; looking to hit 50-60 days this year.

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:04 pm 
Supporting Member

Nice shot, great form! :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm 
Forum User

Awesome! I've only got a 6 days of skiing so far will get about 15 in the winter....
Where/when are you skiing?

BL, SL, Diff drop, Steering system, Shrockworks front with Warn, Megawarrior, 33'' MTs on Cragar 15X10, Gobi & Raingler nets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm 
Forum User

Thanks for the complement, Scott.

Trailz - I used to run the freestyle program at Attitash in NH for a number of years after moving back from Utah, but that place has totally gone to hell in a handbag with the new owners coming in just a few years ago completely ruining the place. It's getting worse now that they also own Wildcat. Avoid both places like the plague especially for their WAY overinflated price of $70 a day!

I opted to get a pass this year at Sunday River in Maine, which is SICK since for the same price ($650) I can also hit Loon in NH and Sugarloaf in Maine as well (a fin' hike to get there though) and I can begin skiing in late October usually and go well through April if not into early May.

I go just about every weekend and squeeze in a few mid-week turns by hitting Gunstock at night on occaision, which is surprisingly pretty decent in terms of the amount of terrain open for nights. I've clocked a few "sick days" mid-week (aka "ski fever") because I really didn't feel right sitting in an office with 2+ feet of new snow falling then. In fact the thought of that nearly causes an anyerism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 pm 
Supporting Member

K29398 wrote:
Thanks for the complement, Scott.

I can tell by the picture that I can't keep up with you. Then again, I don't ski much anymore and still ski on 207's. I used to put in 80 days a year, but that was a while ago when I was a certified instructor...kids came along and well... Every time I go skiing, people ask me if those are downhill skis.

Yeah, I need new equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am 
Forum User

Looking good man! Good to see another freestyler around here. I run the program (hence my screen name) at Buffalo Ski Club, just South of Buffalo.

You mentioned training, are you still competing? The spring Klassic at Killington is this weekend, it is ALWAYS a great bump comp. . . Although this weekend proves to be bulletproof if the cold sets in too early. We have a hand full of competitors from WNY heading up to Killington for the comp.

I have a few kids that should qualify for Eastern Championships, which are at Mt. Snow this year. If I head out there to coach, we should get some turns in!

If you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods, drop me a PM and I'll hook up a fellow freestyler with a ticket.

Here's a teaser of me back in the day:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 pm 
Forum User

Nice pic!

BL, SL, Diff drop, Steering system, Shrockworks front with Warn, Megawarrior, 33'' MTs on Cragar 15X10, Gobi & Raingler nets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:57 pm 
Forum User

LOL...207's, Scott!? That's awesome! God, I can't even remember the last time I was on a ski over 200's, which was MUST back in the day if you were the shit! I had a pair of K2 TNC's in 210's and they were PERFECT for steeper fast stuff like Tuckerman's Ravine on Mount Washington. Kept breaking them though (more like bent them/reverse camber; at 6'2" 200 lbs I am a bit rough on skis)

Sweet crossed up grab! Straight up or were you spinning? 3's have never been my strong suit at all, so hopefully mogul camp in Whistler this year will help with that once and for all since Momentum has a new AirBag this year that looks S I C K for practicing new tricks.

LOVE the Rossi Mogu skis BTW! That's what I'm on right now (orange ones with the stripper sillouette...hmmmm...stripper...); kills me that they stopped making them since they're so nuts on just about everything except slopppy crud. I got a couple of pairs for like $300 each a few years back and I'm down to my last pair. Hart F17's are probably next on deck since they're still making a sick bump board, and they're American hand made. A bit pricey though, but you still see most of the world cup folks using them; that or ID One's which also seem pretty sick too. Trouble is you can never find them in shops or to demo.

I still compete, but mainly non-USSA sanctioned stuff (i.e. Sunday River's Bust n Burn, Killington's Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge, etc.) since it's mostly just to keep me going so I have something to work towards for my exercising/training and beat on my fellow rat packers! At 36 years old I certainly don't have any hopes of making the USST A squad, let alone B or C string!

I've given up the coaching thing for a bit until my 2 year old son gets older, then I'm sure I'll be back at it again (putting him on skis in later this March when it warms up a bit) and I can start to mold 'em! I do miss it though since I had a number of kids that have gone on to do some pretty sick things; Tucker Perkins was mine up until he was 13, then his parents moved him out west after he won Sports Illustrated Snow Search contest, now he's on the Dew Tour...SICK. Couple of other kids were getting pretty high up and were going against the likes of David Dagravio, who's now on the A-squad, but they got sidetracked with other things in life as that often happens.

Do you still compete, or mainly just coach?

I'll certainly hit you up if I'm ever out your way since I love ripping up bumps with fellow freestylers!

Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:27 pm 
Forum User

wow pretty cool.. i would try if only i had a good sense of balance

Pic of me and the X in action <-- click me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:38 pm 
Forum User

That was a straight air, but I can spin those as well. As much as I don't like Moseley as a commentator for the TV competitions, he really opened the door for grabs and eventually off-axis and inverts in the bumps.

Those Rosi moguls were barr-none the best ski's i've ever been on. That being said, I broke my fair share of them and can't find them for the life of me now. The new scratch line just doesn't cut it. My main ski's are Salomon Thrusters now, still have a set of K2 Winter Heats/power momba's, and the usual backup arsenal of other ski types and lengths depending on my mood. Every once in a while I'll check eBay and the local craigslist for a set of the old school Rosi moguls. . . some day . . . some day . . .

I'm done competing for now, not really much of an old-man scene around here. It's strickly coaching for me, I was a judge for A and B comps when I was in College, that was a good time, and I learned A TON that really helps in coaching now. Having an inside track on the judging criteria in invaluable.

We have a few kids that made it pretty far. As of right now, we have 2 on the US Aerial team (Hans Gardner - Development team, and Matt DePeters - Matt went to the Olympics in Vancouver last year), and 2 others that are at the NorAM level for Aerials.

Think Snow!!