It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm

Post subject: Thinking about an X...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:32 pm 
Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of selling my car. A 2001 Nissan Maxima. And em thinking of the XTERRA. I will be honest and the only reason I am thinking of the XTERRA is because I got a postcard from my local dealer offering me a 1000 over NADA for my car. This amount is more than what I am currently selling it for so I think I should take advantage.

I was originally thinking about getting a used 4Runner (2004-2005). With this new development a 2006-2007 XTERRA is possible.

I have done the research but want to hear from the owners as to which way I should go. I do alot of camping in the summers and get alot of snow in the winter so I want a no nonsense SUV with a go anywhere mentality. When I hit the parks, I don't want any obstacle in the way of the perfect campground. I also want a descent ride on the roads. The 4Runner met all my requirements. Will the XTERRA? Seems like a yes... Is space an issue? Two kids and camping equipment OR two kids a wife and luggage to visit grandma in Providence during a blizzard.

Your insights are extremely appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 pm 
Forum User

Heya,
I think you'll find there is plenty of space in an Xterra. I can put the back seats down and lay flat on back and fit, and I'm 6'6".

Nice thing about the X is has the rugged cargo area, you can spray it down with a hose to wash it out, good for muddy dogs. :)

I'm not sure what the Runner comes with for options, but the 06 X was SUV of the year and you can get the offroad version which has a locker on it.

Where abouts are you located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:27 pm 
Forum User

Most of my driving is on paved roads ( My work never lets me take time to enjoy trail riding ) so in my world the X drives very well on road even with 285-75 R16's BFG A/Ts on it.
As for loading it up I can fit 4 adults, 4 snowboards ( on the roof ) and all of our gear in the back with room to spare. then again we are going on a day trip but it's still a ton of bulky winter gear.

As for winter the X handles great. The VDC works very well at keeping the X from fishing around in the slop and hard pack snow. As for Ice, It's Ice so always drive responsible.

I have never driven in the winter on the stock tires ( I've always swapped them out for BFG A/Ts )but someone will chime in on how they handle the white stuff.

This is my second X my first being a 2002 XE which I still miss but with all the added benefits of the 05+ I had to trade up.

Welcome to the Club and enjoy which ever Truck you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:43 pm 
I'm in the Mid Hudson Valley and live in the Town of Poughkeepsie.

Gonna go test the drive the X's either tomorrow or Friday. Have to see which day fits my schedule BEST. If the Nissan dealer is not pulling my chain and they do give me the 12k for my car, the X might be the better overall choice. They have a good amount of 06 X's, I guess they are having a hard time unloading them. We'll see what happens... Do keep the opinions coming and thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:40 pm 
If I had a choice between the '04-05 4Runner and an '06-07 Xterra, I'd choose the Xterra...don't get me wrong, the Toyota is great, it's dependable, and it's a hell of a nice SUV. But if you're into camping, driving alot in inclement weather, and there's the chance you'll get the interior dirty or scuffed up with gear and people....then the X is your best bet. The 4Runners, though great trucks, are more "refined" on the inside...real soft and more "luxury" to it. The Xterra makes more sense as it's built to take a beating in the cargo area. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to UNYX. Keep us posted on how the test drives and the dealer experience goes.

Dave.