It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Post subject: Deer this winter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:51 pm 
Forum User

Anyone going deer hunting this year? I am going to try and make it out for shotgun and archery. We have approx 500 acre of wildlife management land in our backyard (zone 9), should be a good year... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:48 pm 
Forum User

Well, I usually do my hunting in VT at my parent's place. Deer (rifle, bow) and Turkey

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 am 
This will be my 1st season bow hunting, and my 1st season hunting down here in VA. Pretty pumped about it.
Actually, Me, the Wife, Kid, and another couple were camping up in Shenandoah National Park this weekend. Theres no hunting in the whole park, so the deer are fearless of humans. I had 2 big 8's and a HUGE 12 grazing under the oak tree on my site all weekend. Needless to say it was awesome (except for all the crap), but it was killing me inside, I was drooling. 2 more weeks, 2 more, long weeks. Can't get those racks out of my head!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 pm 
Forum User

Nice! Also my first (well seriously trying) season with a bow.

I have everything ready to go also... just waiting too.

What are you shooting? I just inherited a Bowtech Tomkat, coming from a 1991 Hoyt spectra it is like going from a Chevy Celebrity to a Mercedes. You have the idea how shitty it really is, but when you test drive the new one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:37 pm 
Supporting Member

I can hunt in my backyard, which is shotgun. I prefer rifle and go to my mother's parent's farm or the Adirondacks. Having said that, I have not gone hunting in six years. I miss it, but doubt I will go this year as it takes a lot of time.

From what I have seen around here, the heard is small and young. I have not seen one buck all summer. Usually I see several all summer long. While it was an easy winter and the mast crop was good. I still think they are too over-populated around here to produce some really nice racks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:50 pm 
Forum User

While the rack is a plus, you can't eat it ;) I have 2 doe permits and plan to use them... I think the best tasting meat comes from smaller doe. Dont get me wrong, I would also like to fill the 2 buck tags as well but I think I will be hard pressed to shoot one.

We have approx 500+ acres of wild life management land in our back yard that has put out some close to trophy deer in the past. Acorn production is about 1/10 of what it was the past 2 years around here so I am hoping that they will be moving more due to the lack of food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:08 pm 
Supporting Member

While you are right, there is no doubt that smaller doe taste better, I just don't shoot them...it's too damn easy. Mind you, I don't bow hunt and I don't criticize or condemn someone who shoots a doe.

I grew up hunting and, while I have shot a fair number of doe in the past, I don't anymore. A bad day in the woods is not seeing a dozen doe walk within range. I have had them lick my boots, sniff the barrel of my gun, and even try to pull my lunch out of my pocket while sitting under a tree. I don't sit in a stand, never have (although I certainly would if I hunted with a bow). I still hunt. I will find a good spot before dawn and sit there for several hours...sometimes falling asleep, but I really enjoy walking slowly and quietly through the woods.

That's why I really like the Adirondacks. You can literally walk for miles without coming upon anyone or a road. To me, that's the best part of hunting.

I still get nervous when I see that elusive buck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:47 pm 
Noob

I passed the Hunter Safety Course this past weekend. I signed up to take the bow course too. Would love to get some venison for the freezer this winter. Will have to hunt in the wildlife management areas as we don't have enough acreage.

The bow course is mostly so I can kill the f'ing coyotes in the back yard legally. Though taking a deer with my bow would be cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:24 pm 
Forum User

Monday is the 1st day of archery in MA... Good luck to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:57 am 
Forum User

I wish it was deer season here. they are plentiful and bold. They don't move when you walk up to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:43 pm 
Noob

Been hunting jersey land for a few weeks.

Bow season is in for the catskills on the 18th and i can't wait.

Good luck everyone !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:34 pm 
Forum User

Shit! Blew a shot on a 4pt this afternoon... he stuck around for about 30 minutes after but I could not get another shot. That was the first sighting of the season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:50 am 
Forum User

aw, that sucks.

I'll be taking next week and the week after off of work to go to VT for deer season/thanksgiving. Can't wait.

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 am 
Forum User

Any good recipes fo deer meat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 am 
Forum User

Millions... anything in mind?

Treat it like lamb or any other gamy meat, slow roasting, braising. Faster cooking tends to bring out the gamy flavor and because of the lack of fat, dries it to shit. Think along the lines of Osso Buco and you will make a winner.