PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:04 pm 
Noob

Description: Locking gas cap, emission control type
Manufacturer: Stant
Part Number: 11508
Application: 1st Gen X
Where to buy it: Advance Auto Parts
Cost: <$20

Sorry, this is not major mod or a great product that would help in our off road adventures. It is something we may all need as gas prices to continue to increase and well worth giving some thought if you haven't done so already.
Not to offend anyone, but I think I'm safe in saying that the great majority of the members of NEXterra are younger than I am. Back in a very strange decade in American history that my generation calls "the 70's", we had a thing go on called a "gas crisis". During this time, OPEC was fairly new and basically decided to flex it's muscle by slowing petroleum production. This led to less supply, higher prices and eventually gas stations running out of fuel (shortages). You may have seen the pictures of the long lines at stations that had fuel and that you could only buy so many gallons at a time. (rationing)
I lived through this and let me tell you, it got very ugly at times. "Nice history lesson Barry, but what does this mean to me now?" Wellllll, I'll tell you! As supplies became less available, unkind people :x began to siphon fuel from other people's cars. Daytime, nighttime. It really didn't matter. You could stop at a store for 5 minutes and come back out and your tank would be empty. With fuel costs rising almost daily, you may want to think about taking this inexpensive precaution against having your fuel literally sucked out of your X.
I went to good old Advanced Auto Parts and asked about locking gas caps. This unit is a direct replacement of your OEM gas cap and has a simple locking device built into the top that is locked/unlocked by a small key. Should some people resort to stealing gas, this will slow them down. Thieves do not like to lose time. Lost time= greater chance of being caught. :bang:
Once again, that's my view from the X.

Barry :usa:
Xterra-the "No Fear" SUV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:06 pm 
Forum User

Fortunately I live in a rea that doesn't have problems with the syphoning of gas,but as prices rise that may change,this is actually a cool idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:51 pm 
Supporting Member

You must be as old as I am to remember those times. After that, most cars came with a lever inside the driver's door to release the gas door via a cable. I guess many car makers dropped that expense since it was no longer a big issue. I'm sure it will be again.

There is an anti-siphoning device built into gas tanks, but again, anything that slows them down in addition to that is a benefit. Hell, I don't even lock my house or my vehicles at home.

Good review. Soon, we all may be having to get one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:00 pm 
Forum User

You know i was considering that also... it was just on the news a few days ago where people would go out to their car and there is no fuel in it!! this was becasue they would drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and drain it!!!!!! i said to myself "thank god i got the Shrock Gas Tank Skid"!! haha i doubt anyone is going to try to drill into that.

all in all it is sad what is happening with gas prices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:09 pm 
Supporting Member

RomeoEJ wrote:
all in all it is sad what is happening with gas prices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:18 pm 
Global Moderator

I had one of those but after a while it didn?t make a proper seal and kept throwing a code. Had to go back to the stock one. :(
No one is stealing gas in Brooklyn yet. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:33 am 
Forum User

I bought one last year because I realized I had $60 in my tank when full. Now...it's close to $100!