It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

Post subject: Need maintenance advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 am 
I think I am getting screwed by my dealer

He says my rotors are fine but he wants to resurface them and change my pads for $275.

This is after me telling him about how squeaky they were the last time I was in and he said they were fine, just dirty.

BTW do you have to resurface the rotors when changing the pads? He says that the rotors are fine and not scored but he needs to resurface/turn them? wtf? Am I missing something here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:01 am 
as far as i know there's no reason to resurface your rotors unless they were cut into from the brake pads getting too low, then what they do is grind them down to a smooth surface.

only reason i can think of for that needing to happen is maybe warped rotors? but then you usually just replace the rotor completely.

i had my rotors replaced for 300 installed... so just for pads 275 is pretty steep.. then again it is the dealer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:22 am 
Forum User

I can' think of any reason to resurface the rotors if they are "fine"

Rotor resurfacing is not a preventative maintenance, it's a repair. If there's nothing wrong, there shouldn't be anything to repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:25 am 
Forum User

There was a bulletin put out about the 05's having brake rotor issues. But I think you have to be under 24,000 miles for it to be covered. It was a TSB I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:37 pm 
I went around and around with "Bob" at the dealership. He kept telling me that they turn the rotors as part of their normal service. I explained that I didn't agree and that I didn't want it done. Hell I don't turn the rotors on my RACE bike everytime I change pads!

I go down to pick up my X and ask to see Bob. He wasn't there but "Joanne" says she would be happy to discuss it with me. She says she overheard the discussion with Bob and didn't really agree with him.

Long story short she goes and talks with the tech, clears up some miscommunication and comes in to tell me they will do the brake work FOR FREE! :)

It pays to go to the dealer and talk to them to in person. It probably doesn't hurt that I was in uniform. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm 
Forum User

I would have made this analogy with them... "What if you went to the dentist for a cleaning. He said 'your teeth look great, but I'm gonna drill a couple and put some fillings in anyway." Would you want him to do it? Hell no." Now just replace my brake pads!

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:08 pm 
Supporting Member

I always resurface my rotors with a brake job. It's just worth the effort. Costs about $10/side at NAPA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:29 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
I always resurface my rotors with a brake job. It's just worth the effort. Costs about $10/side at NAPA.

Well shoot, at that price I'd do it every time too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:02 pm 
Might be of some help

Link

I have never bought from here though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 am 
Has anyone else had a dealer tell them they did resurfacing as part of normal maintenance?

Next issue...

I go to get an Oil change and an inspection (again to the dealer)
They say my tires don't pass inspection. I am familiar with the inspection rules and ask them how they didn't pass. They try to tell me but I call them on it and quote the inspection guidelines, I even show them what I am saying in THEIR manual!

They back pedal a little and say "The tires were borderline and we erred on the side of safety" They half heartedly offered to put my old tires back on. I say that would be a PITA at 6pm when they were already closed. and I had my truck packed to go on a trip.

To top it off they only had 2 tires to choose from, an all season and a Highway. Thankfully the all season had good reviews but I wanted to choose my own tires!, not some "dealer" deal.
I went with a set of Nokian Actiivas (anyone heard bad stuff about them?)

THEN they try and tell me "Oh By the way, you need a new battery, it tested low" I have had no starting issues and can change my own damn battery. WTF! If it isn't one thing with this dealer it is another.

I also got to speak with their shuttle driver who says "Bob" pads his bottom line and is all about comission. :shock: :roll:

Anyone got reccomendations on a national shop that can do ALL my service/warranty work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm 
Forum User

You have to be going to Freedom Nissan.

I would start talking to the lady that is at the service counter and stay Clear of "Bob".

The service guys are really good it's just the people behind the desk that suck.

If all else fails talk to the head dude in the front ( forgot his name ) his office is to the right as you enter the sales entrance.

he has been able to calm down the Service Dep when I had trouble with my ECU back in 05. As well as a couple other things before the Lady started. ( Wish I could remember her name )

I really don't know of another Dealer or Service place that is in our area.
You could always check out Cornick's Dealer. Sounds like he has a Killer dealer but it's a drive.

DaveP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:01 pm 
Forum User

I've heard good things about Jerry's Nissan, but they're down in Rutland.

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:10 pm 
XterraVT wrote:
You have to be going to Freedom Nissan.

I would start talking to the lady that is at the service counter and stay Clear of "Bob".

The service guys are really good it's just the people behind the desk that suck.

If all else fails talk to the head dude in the front ( forgot his name ) his office is to the right as you enter the sales entrance.

he has been able to calm down the Service Dep when I had trouble with my ECU back in 05. As well as a couple other things before the Lady started. ( Wish I could remember her name )

I really don't know of another Dealer or Service place that is in our area.
You could always check out Cornick's Dealer. Sounds like he has a Killer dealer but it's a drive.

DaveP

I think Joanne is the chick you are thinking of. She is in sales now. Mort is the guy in the office you speak about, He is Co owner.

I will be talking to them again soon.

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 pm 
Forum User

Joanne - That's It. She's in Sales now! Well that's good for Mort but bad for the Service customers.

I've been back to Freedom but it's only like a total of 8 times since I bought her.

When you go into see Mort bring the Web sites up ( Unyx, Nexterra and TheNewX ). They have no clue what is going on in our sites and it would be good for Mort to see how much info is going around in here. he might also like to see what other Dealers in the area ( even though they are some distance away ) are doing and how they are supporting Xterra Owners that are not their normal customers.

Good luck

DaveP