It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Post subject: Headers on a 2004 XE?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:04 pm 
Global Moderator

Hey gang, I'm thinking about this -a lot. Please help me out, what make would you get and why?
How long should it take for a shop to install them. I'm going to be needing a timing belt (93500) pretty soon and I'm considering having both done at the same time. Any info from you experienced guys would be very much appreciated.
Comments, thoughts?? Please.

Post subject: Re: Headers on a 2004 XE?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:25 pm 
Forum User

I know Scott (daggerdoggie) did an exhaust system a while back and threw headers on there. His rig sounds mean. Ask him or look up what exact make they were on one of his threads. I would for you but difficult on the phone. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:29 pm 
Global Moderator

JesseeS wrote:
I know Scott (daggerdoggie) did an exhaust system a while back and threw headers on there. His rig sounds mean. Ask him or look up what exact make they were on one of his threads. I would for you but difficult on the phone. Good luck!

Thanks for your info. I have a NISMO CAI & Catback and should have done headers then. Oh well, I'll look for the thread.

More comments and thoughts welcomed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:40 pm 
Forum User

Alright so I believe Scott has SLR headers with a dual magnaflow exhaust and if I remember correctly, SLR is no more. I found these on 4x4parts.com. https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra- ... -6678.html
They say for offroad use only, I would assume because of the elimination of the cat, but since when do we care about being "legal" haha hope this helps a little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm 
Global Moderator

JesseeS wrote:
Alright so I believe Scott has SLR headers with a dual magnaflow exhaust and if I remember correctly, SLR is no more. I found these on 4x4parts.com. https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra- ... -6678.html
They say for offroad use only, I would assume because of the elimination of the cat, but since when do we care about being "legal" haha hope this helps a little

Thanks, my CAI & Catback were labeled the same way. As a DD I don't 'use them' back and forth to work and around town anyway, just actually 'use them' offroad. LOL

(Leaning towards the DT...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm 
Supporting Member

I did my Headers on my X and also made it a true Dual Exhaust. Louie's Custom Exhaust did the custom pipes, but the headers were done by me and a friend, was not fun. I believe i bought my off of Steven, but 4x4 parts were the same ones.

Note:
You have Two cats and Two .. something to make it less noisy.. dont remember the actual name

The circles are your CATs, and i was able to replace those with Universal Catalytic Converters 6907.. ( i think ).. It was a project but the end result was worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 pm 
Supporting Member

im running doug thorley long tube headers, bought them here

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-x ... -6019.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:23 am 
Global Moderator

Okay, ordered the Doug Thorley headers. (465-L-C)

Anyone have a guess as to how long it might take a shop to install them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:03 pm 
Supporting Member

idk bout a shop, took me around 8h, of course i sprayed everything the day before with pb. my advantage was that the x in body lifted so i had some room. yours isnt right? that's gna be a PITA for them to install

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 pm 
Global Moderator

MAD X wrote:
idk bout a shop, took me around 8h, of course i sprayed everything the day before with pb. my advantage was that the x in body lifted so i had some room. yours isnt right? that's gna be a PITA for them to install

They will do it right at least. I'm a doof so would screw it up somehow. I now have them in hand and need to schedule the work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 pm 
Forum User

You know, your driveway is always open! Haha

I'm going to suggest be ready for being without car for 2-3 days. They will say 1-2 but they they still will hit a snag, or worse snap off a header bolt.. So just take that into consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 pm 
Global Moderator

Ricel wrote:
You know, your driveway is always open! Haha

I'm going to suggest be ready for being without car for 2-3 days. They will say 1-2 but they they still will hit a snag, or worse snap off a header bolt.. So just take that into consideration.

Bastards!
LOL
Good thoughts, all good things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 am 
Global Moderator

MAD X wrote:

No -not BL'd.

Any 'check engine light' issues for you??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:20 pm 
Supporting Member

yeah a buncha crap now i think i did something wrong burns gas like crazy need to take it to a exhaust shop anyway cause i want custom exhaust and hi flow cats this stock nonsense is giving me a head ache and nothing else. the headers sound like crap now because of it, like a have a ton of air leaks. did you get yours insatalled yet? if so what did the shop do with the driver side header on top where you supposed to screw in a plug for that hole because i put that metal hose back into the header idk what that part is called, but i herd ppl on xn just plug that one the engine and then on the header

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm 
Global Moderator

MAD X wrote:
yeah a buncha crap now i think i did something wrong burns gas like crazy need to take it to a exhaust shop anyway cause i want custom exhaust and hi flow cats this stock nonsense is giving me a head ache and nothing else. the headers sound like crap now because of it, like a have a ton of air leaks. did you get yours insatalled yet? if so what did the shop do with the driver side header on top where you supposed to screw in a plug for that hole because i put that metal hose back into the header idk what that part is called, but i herd ppl on xn just plug that one the engine and then on the header

It went into the shop today. They got it back together and tomorrow I'll get it back after they do some other work I wanted done. I did not get the CEL Eliminators though so I'm guessing it will be throwing codes. I missed that... dammit. If so, I'll get the check engine light eliminators and have them do that if I can't.