It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

Post subject: TOWING QUESTION
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 am 
Noob

I just got a new 21ft camper. I have been trying to find a thread about towing. Can anyone help me out?
I got an 02 X with calmini 3 inch lift.
guessing I should get a tranny cooler and beefier brakes. Anything else?
Trailer is 4 grand unloaded weight.
thanks

Post subject: Re: TOWING QUESTION
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 am 
Club President

I've never towed anything before, but hopefully someone else can chime in here.

One question - does the trailer have electric brakes? I would think that would help the X out a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 am 
Noob

I've towed a landscaping trailer, but with a the logs it was probably 3000-3500lbs. This was with the 04 and the 12 Xterra. I've also towed a hydraulic lift which weighed 4k lbs and had surge brakes with the 04.

The first thing is brakes. The trailer has either electric or surge (compressing piston in trailer tongue) as I think any trailer over 3k lbs must. If surge, you can't really adjust the braking force, but electric you can with a controller.

Your brakes probably don't need to be upgraded as long as the trailer has its own, but make sure there's plenty of material left on the pads/shoes and drive with a good amount of braking distance in front of you.

For the transmission, it really depends on the terrain you'll be driving. Relatively flat, I wouldn't worry about a cooler. If you plan on many hills, it is probably a good idea to have an additional cooler. I didn't like using overdrive, but consult the manual on whether or not you can use it.

One last thing is trailer level and load. Get a ball mount with a good drop to get the trailer fairly level. Also, load the trailer so you still have a good amount of weight on the tongue, but not exceeding the 500lbs the hitch is rated for. Look online for proper trailer loading, I'm sure there's plenty on there.

Beyond equipment, make sure you're aware of what you're towing and take it easy. If the trailer starts swaying do not apply the brakes; use a little throttle instead and it should settle down.

Another note on surge brakes: if there's no reverse lockout (5 pin trailer harness), then there will be a metal key you put into the tongue before backing up so you don't have the brakes working as you back up. Remember to remove it after you back up though, before you continue on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am 
Supporting Member

I tow a camper just a bit smaller but I have a second gen that has a bit more power. You are maxing out your truck for sure, you will need a WD hitch,brake controller, assuming the camper has brakes, and some type of sway control. Again, your truck will be at its limits, so drive carefully.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 pm 
Noob

I towed Tim from RC to BK. slight over heating on the hills but my X was fine. I have a '03 X with a 2" lift.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm 
Noob

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tran cooler is on order and the first week of may is the first test trip. Just 30 min away.