It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

Post subject: Clicking sound from front hub
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:15 am 
Noob

Have a issue that's been going on for a while. If I make a really sharp turn and proceed over 20mph I hear a clicking tick sounds from my front diff. I believe it's the hub. Any easy was to check to see what hub it could possible be left or right

Post subject: Re: Clicking sound from front hub
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:13 am 
Forum User

Half shaft or locked hub good luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:29 pm 
Global Moderator

1st Gen?
Sounds like a bad hub. Normally it's the one not clicking and it's the “fixed cam assembly” that is broken.

Kinda hard to source since you need to buy the whole hub and Nissan has discontinued the part.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 am 
Noob

Bklyn.X wrote:
1st Gen?
Sounds like a bad hub. Normally it's the one not clicking and it's the “fixed cam assembly” that is broken.

Kinda hard to source since you need to buy the whole hub and Nissan has discontinued the part.

Believe it is the fixed cam. My passenger side the plastic that holds the spring in place is all messed up. So if I buy this part would it work or my best bet would be to replace the whole hub?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:05 am 
Supporting Member

Whole hub. You'll mostly likely not find a fixed cam anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:50 am 
Forum User

If you replace the hubs, consider going to the old manual locking hubs that were used on the hardbodys. They were great hubs, strong, and never had a problem with them There may still be a few available on the internet, through dealers, or in bondyards.

Be careful with other brands of manual hubs. I had a set of Warn and they were a disaster.

k_enn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:16 am 
Global Moderator

As posted above, that “Fixed cam assembly” was never sold as a separate part, only as part of the “Auto-lock free running hub assembly” (part #40250-1S700). Stupid as it is shown as separate in the FSM and it was made of plastic in order to act as a “fuse” within our front drive; designed to fail saving other more expensive parts (odd that I’ve never had one fail during the many CV axle failures I’ve experienced…but I digress).
If you can find a used “Fixed cam assembly” separately it should be all you need to replace within the hub (very doubtful). If you can't, try finding a new (doubtful as it has been discontinued by Nissan) or used (hard to find) “Auto-lock free running hub assembly”. You can use the “Fixed cam assembly” to repair your current hub or just replace the entire hub.
Your other option is to switch to manual hubs. As Kenn posted, the preferred would be a set of old Hard Body hubs (part #40250-S3900) that are even more difficult to find that the Autos. Next would be WARN that are readily available through 4x4parts or almost any aftermarket 4 wheel drive outlet. Many folks had trouble with these as Kenn posted but they might be your only option at this time. Lastly there are MileMarker brand manuals, also widely available although I don’t care for them. I can get more into the WARN/MM debate if ya
Hope this helps…let us know what you decide to do.

Kenn, do you still have the HB hubs off your old truck? If ya do I'd like to buy them off you... :-D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 pm 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
<snip>
Kenn, do you still have the HB hubs off your old truck? If ya do I'd like to buy them off you... :-D

No, but I wish I did. If I had them, I would sell them to you. Couldn't get a chance to take them off before the insurance company took the truck

Here is a possible source. https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.PartInfo&PartNumber=40250S3900&VehicleID=93314&diagram=3613082&Title%3D-4WD-manual-lock-4-cylinder-LOCK-HUB-ASSY

Google the part number and you may find more.

k_enn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:08 am 
Noob

k_enn wrote:
If you replace the hubs, consider going to the old manual locking hubs that were used on the hardbodys. They were great hubs, strong, and never had a problem with them There may still be a few available on the internet, through dealers, or in bondyards.

Be careful with other brands of manual hubs. I had a set of Warn and they were a disaster.

k_enn

Was going to pick up a set of warn. Why do you say they were a disaster?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:10 am 
Noob

Bklyn.X wrote:
As posted above, that “Fixed cam assembly” was never sold as a separate part, only as part of the “Auto-lock free running hub assembly” (part #40250-1S700). Stupid as it is shown as separate in the FSM and it was made of plastic in order to act as a “fuse” within our front drive; designed to fail saving other more expensive parts (odd that I’ve never had one fail during the many CV axle failures I’ve experienced…but I digress).
If you can find a used “Fixed cam assembly” separately it should be all you need to replace within the hub (very doubtful). If you can't, try finding a new (doubtful as it has been discontinued by Nissan) or used (hard to find) “Auto-lock free running hub assembly”. You can use the “Fixed cam assembly” to repair your current hub or just replace the entire hub.
Your other option is to switch to manual hubs. As Kenn posted, the preferred would be a set of old Hard Body hubs (part #40250-S3900) that are even more difficult to find that the Autos. Next would be WARN that are readily available through 4x4parts or almost any aftermarket 4 wheel drive outlet. Many folks had trouble with these as Kenn posted but they might be your only option at this time. Lastly there are MileMarker brand manuals, also widely available although I don’t care for them. I can get more into the WARN/MM debate if ya
Hope this helps…let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks for the advice. And if I can't find another auto hub off of some parts car on cg I'll most likely buy a set of manual hubs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:09 am 
Forum User

Dirtygreenxterra wrote:
k_enn wrote:

k_enn

Was going to pick up a set of warn. Why do you say they were a disaster?

Two big problems. One was that the hub sticks out beyond the tire and can be damaged off-roading. If damaged, they do not sell just the cap component that gets damaged, you have to buy a new pair of hubs. The other was the studs that come with the hub to attached it to the wheel. I had several break before reaching the torque specification, and I had others break in use. At one point when I was off-roading, all the studs on one hub had broken and hence no power to that wheel at all. Drilling out and removing the broken studs was a pain in the ass, so on at least one occassion I replaced the whole underlying wheel assembly (the time it was taking to remove the studs was rediculous). After that, I skipped the studs and went to bolts - same problem, the kept breaking. When I finally went to the hardbody hubs, no more problems.

k_enn

Last edited by k_enn on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 am 
Supporting Member

Junkyard the auto free runnin hubs. Or mile marker it from 4x4parts.com for 100. Good thing to do now is remove hubs and remove C clip on tip of axle. Then re-install hubs till u get new ones. If clicking persists, remove axle and plug up rear of spindle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:13 pm 
Global Moderator

I agree with k enn on the old HB manuals (I run them on my ’01) except I seriously doubt you’ll find any. If you do please let me know where as I am hording them as a divested part of my retirement portfolio…
As far as being careful “with other brands of manual hubs”; there are two brands I’ve seen on the trail. WARN and MileMarker. I have not run ether and personally would run OEM Autos before using ether.
Both stick out further than OEM.
I’ve heard that the common WARN stud failure can be avoided by using grade 8 bolts and thread-loc however IMHO it’s kinda F’d up that you need to modify the studs with a new, out of the box item…
There could also be two problems you could possibly encounter using those grade 8 bolts. First is that if they break (never seen it) they would be even harder to tap out of the wheel hub than the supplied WARN studs. Second is that if they start to back out they destroy your wheel hub by “egging out” the holes requiring replacement of that wheel hub (seen this more than once).
So the trick with WARN hubs would be to be vigilant with your driving not hitting the part of the hub that sticks and monitoring torque of the studs/bolts so they don’t have a chance to back out. Kind of a pain but better than nutin…
Almost every guy I’ve been on the trail with that ran MileMarker manuals has had at least one explode. I know a lot of folks on the boards never had any problem with them but I would not use them on my truck.
So to recap from what I prefer to my last option; OEM HardBody Manuals (40250-S3900), then your OEM Auto Hub (40250-1S700), if I could not find those I’d use the WARN Hub.

BKxterra718 wrote:
… Good thing to do now is remove hubs and remove C clip on tip of axle. Then re-install hubs till u get new ones. If clicking persists, remove axle and plug up rear of spindle.

? Why would you do ether one of these things?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am 
Supporting Member

K

Last edited by BKxterra718 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:34 am 
Supporting Member

Well T, first of all, no I do not do ether, thats a dangerous drug. But lets assume you meant either. Glad you asked! We remove the C clip at the tip of the axle so our IFS can droop slightly more, and so when we change axles on the trail we wont have to remove the hub assembly in the process. And we optionally remove the axle because its not good to drive w a seized hub as it can damage ur front diff bearing as its spinning the axle so ive heard. But like reading rainbow, dont take my word for it...[/quote]Image