It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm

Post subject: Problem with the gearshift (2003 manual tranny)
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:47 pm 
Club Vice President

Hi folks - after this weekend, my truck's got a weird problem... well not sure if it's a problem yet. When I shift to either the 5th gear or reverse, the gear shift lever pushes against the plastic surround. So, I need to use some force to get it into 5th. There's also a slight whine in 5th now, but goes away if I pull out the plastic surround. It's almost like the gearshift has moved ~1/2" to the right from before.

Haven't dropped the skids to take a look underneath yet.. anyone experienced anything like this before or have any ideas what might be wrong? Could there be something with the gearbox mounts or something?

Here's how it looks in neutral, the two arrows sort of show the two things that are pushing each other:

And here again in 5th... the plastic surround needs to be pushed out to get in gear:

Thanks,
Suresh

Post subject: Re: Problem with the gearshift (2003 manual tranny)
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 pm 
Forum User

Seems like the tranny has shifted, may be the motor mounts or tranny mount. Is the 4wd shifter moved over also?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm 
Club Vice President

It looks like both shifters have moved. I removed the skids tonight but didn't notice anything obviously wrong. Was planning a trip this weekend, maybe I'll leave truck at home & take it to a shop to be checked out next week.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 am 
Club Vice President

Update1 - dropped it off an Middletown Nissan this morning. They called back, apparently the shifter point & pivot + bushings need to be replaced. $146.29+labor, parts are on order. Glad it wasn't something serious.

Was also told that I need a new centerlink as well (there's too much play in the steering). Didn't see a point in replacing it with a stock unit. Need to look for an aftermarket one & look into replacing it.

Thanks,
Suresh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:03 pm 
Forum User

The bushing was my next thought. I replaced mine with the short throw shifter from PRG. Really tightened up the shift pattern and extra play.

Glad it was an easy fix.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:30 pm 
Events Committee Member

Glad it was something simple.

Do you have a body lift.???

The whole body may have shifted over slightly on the frame to the D/S on the mounts.
Happen to me before..... :roll:
the body moves over and the trans is on the frame so it looks like the trans moved instead.
Might be worth a check.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm 
Club Vice President

DirtySocks wrote:
...... Middletown Nissan ....... shifter point & pivot + bushings need to be replaced. $146.29+labor, parts are on order. .....

Update - so after a 2month delay from ordering the parts.... Middletown Nissan tells me that two of the parts (a housing & a bushing) are not being made by Nissan anymore. WHAT? It took them two months to tell me this!! Absurd... and I've been calling them every week & the status was always that it's been shipped from the company & should be here shortly. Gave the parts manager a piece of but I don't think he took it seriously enough. I'll be complaining to Nissan North America & also to the dealer. I'm not so pissed that they don't make it anymore but super pissed that it took them two months to tell me & don't seem too bothered about it.

Anyways, Courtesy Parts seems to have them. Ordered them last night.

In contrast to Nissan - Idler arm bushings from Bandit4x4 were delivered at my door 3 days from the time I ordered! Now, that's what I call customer service. Kudos to Dave!!