It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

Post subject: On to the Skids.. Need advise
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:52 pm 
Forum User

So as most of you know, I have the front shrockworks radiator skid. Need to know what's the best way to go with the rest of them. ...Keep in mind, I have a manual transmission. Don't know if that plate is needed. Also, I see vivid and shrockworks is the same price for the shrockworks skids.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: On to the Skids.. Need advise
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 pm 
Supporting Member

masshole413 wrote:
So as most of you know, I have the front shrockworks radiator skid. Need to know what's the best way to go with the rest of them. ...Keep in mind, I have a manual transmission. Don't know if that plate is needed. Also, I see vivid and shrockworks is the same price for the shrockworks skids.

Stick with Shrock. Most of these skids are meant to be used as a set and have some level of overlap when installed. If you mix and match with, say, HeftyFab you'll need to do some modifications.

I can't answer your question on the MT but I've never seen the type of transmission come up in skid discussions before.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm 
Forum User

BostonX wrote:
masshole413 wrote:

Stick with Shrock. Most of these skids are meant to be used as a set and have some level of overlap when installed. If you mix and match with, say, HeftyFab you'll need to do some modifications.

I can't answer your question on the MT but I've never seen the type of transmission come up in skid discussions before.
I would think it would be weird having a trans skid with a drain hole for no plug. Lol and nothing to protect other then the cross members.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 am 
Forum User

Skids serve two important functions, to protect and to provide a tough surface to smoothly drag over obstacles. The skid sets overlap and provide as close to a smooth plate surface as possible. As far as mix and match? It's probably a smart idea. That said I have the Shrock front bumper and it's skid, then Hefty skids for the rest. The Shrock skid doesn't interface with the others. I went with Hefty based on price and delivery and have been very happy with them. They've been hit a bunch of times and taken it well.

One of these days I've got to run the X up my ramps and take a good picture of how the skids provide the smooth "skid" surface but not today in the rain.

Scott

ps: my X is a stick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:47 pm 
Global Moderator

Scott Farris wrote:
Skids serve two important functions, to protect and to provide a tough surface to smoothly drag over obstacles. The skid sets overlap and provide as close to a smooth plate surface as possible. As far as mix and match? It's probably a smart idea. That said I have the Shrock front bumper and it's skid, then Hefty skids for the rest. The Shrock skid doesn't interface with the others. I went with Hefty based on price and delivery and have been very happy with them. They've been hit a bunch of times and taken it well.

One of these days I've got to run the X up my ramps and take a good picture of how the skids provide the smooth "skid" surface but not today in the rain.

Scott

ps: my X is a stick

Well stated. Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro