It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

Post subject: Time to Lift!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok guys, I finally have the dough to put in that lift. Now I need some honest opinions on how I should do it.

My budget is up to $1000. The lift should be correct for (eventually) supporting an aftermarket front and rear bumper. This can be done in phases if necessary (i.e. spacers now, new UCA/struts later) Actual time off-road will be minimal. I would prefer parts that allow me to do the work myself.

Is assembling a strut difficult? Do I need any special tools besides a spring compressor? What are the practical differences, in terms of performance, between a top strut spacer and an in strut spacer?

I've never done anything but a PML so I'm pretty green here.

I was thinking about the OME w/ AAL from Nisstec

http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=72

but that's at the very top of my budget. I would prefer AAL over shackles (I think...)

Another option is the Nisstec AAL + in-strut spacers. This is MUCH cheaper and would allow me to throw some money at other mods. Would adding an AAL to the rear w/o new shocks be a bad idea?

http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=72

Ok, flood me with opinions!!

Post subject: Re: Time to Lift!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:12 pm 
Club Vice President

Just get a Jeep.

You asked for opinions!! pirate2 Sorry, don't know much about the 2nd gens. There are some awesomely modified 2nd gens here, you will get plenty of good opinions. You should think about what tire size you want to end up with too if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:32 pm 
Supporting Member

Already running 33s and very happy with them.

If by Jeep you mean Trailcat then yes. So much yes.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 pm 
Forum User

So many different ways and even more opinions. For "how tos" and technical discussions you should be hanging out at The New X site, I think most of the Xterra guys have a presence there. Start with the lift options article to get the basic knowledge to ask your questions (there or here) and understand the descriptions, benefits, and draw backs of our lift choices.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 pm 
Club Secretary

The best advice I have is- Get the rig out in the woods, see what it can do. Then see what makes sense to upgrade. I most often hear stories about perceived needs before wheeling vs. actual needs once you’re out there.

I feel like I should have done-
1. Armor
2. Lift
3. Tires
4. Lockers
5. Bumpers
Currently I’m somewhere between 3 and 4.

Some like
1. Armor
2. Bumpers
3. Suspension
4. Tires
5. Lockers.

With the second list there is no need for multiple versions of suspensions. Stock suspension will be mushy with all the added weight. Or a premature addition of an HD suspension before your final weight will give a stiff ride.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:08 am 
Supporting Member

Thanks John. As far as armor goes, I don't want the weight of skids given how little offroading I do. But I do have a pair of WKO sliders on order. I want to get the lift in before I install the sliders. The extra 2" of height should make the job easier.

I'm trying to decide between the OME full lift kit or the PML and a bumper. I think I'm better off getting the good lift and waiting on the bumper. Strut spacers will do nothing to support the extra weight.

Have you guys usually gone with the standard springs up front or HD, knowing that you would be adding a bumper (tube, not plate, but still...)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:01 pm 
Forum User

I worked backwards and fairly uniquely. I feel in love with the looks of the Shrock front bumper and had one on order within 2 months of buying the X. Both girls were well out of college and I could afford the bumper, so I bought it. I also purchased the sliders at the same time based on my history of light wheeling, exploring, hunting, and fishing that I typically use my SUVs for. The added weight dropped her noise and increased the dip when stopping. So I bought the OME medium coil springs and installed them in my coil overs. This raised the front enough to level her out - details and feed back on the attached link. She drove much nicer and all it cost was the springs. To do the coil over you need a GOOD Spring compressor, the Harbor Freight compressors won't work safely, too much deflection, they are sized for car springs.

A few years later I got into wheeling fairly heavily and decided to go with a lift. I went with top spacers and SPC upper control arms for a 2" lift while maintaining as much droop as possible. Droop is presently limited by my shocks with no coil over bucket contact. In the rear I replaced the leafs with OME medium leaf springs and added adjustable shackles and new Bills 5100 shocks for the lift height.

If you read the comments in the link there were lot's of opinions and naysayers but it's been over 6 years and 42,XXX miles since upgrading the front coils and my original shocks (Pro-4X Bills) are holding up well.

Next? Maybe a Titan swap, I already have the longer shafts for the RCV CV axles......

3 words of caution; Heim joints don't like road salt, stay away from them. Most suspension lifts cost you droop, too much droop lost results in an uncomfortable ride. And finally spring bucket contact pretty much limits lifts to 2 inches or less unless you replace the Upper control arms - Think SPC to stay away from Heim joints

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 pm 
Supporting Member

Scott Farris wrote:
I worked backwards and fairly uniquely. I feel in love with the looks of the Shrock front bumper and had one on order within 2 months of buying the X. Both girls were well out of college and I could afford the bumper, so I bought it. I also purchased the sliders at the same time based on my history of light wheeling, exploring, hunting, and fishing that I typically use my SUVs for. The added weight dropped her noise and increased the dip when stopping. So I bought the OME medium coil springs and installed them in my coil overs. This raised the front enough to level her out - details and feed back on the attached link. She drove much nicer and all it cost was the springs. To do the coil over you need a GOOD Spring compressor, the Harbor Freight compressors won't work safely, too much deflection, they are sized for car springs.

A few years later I got into wheeling fairly heavily and decided to go with a lift. I went with top spacers and SPC upper control arms for a 2" lift while maintaining as much droop as possible. Droop is presently limited by my shocks with no coil over bucket contact. In the rear I replaced the leafs with OME medium leaf springs and added adjustable shackles and new Bills 5100 shocks for the lift height.

If you read the comments in the link there were lot's of opinions and naysayers but it's been over 6 years and 42,XXX miles since upgrading the front coils and my original shocks (Pro-4X Bills) are holding up well.

Next? Maybe a Titan swap, I already have the longer shafts for the RCV CV axles......

3 words of caution; Heim joints don't like road salt, stay away from them. Most suspension lifts cost you droop, too much droop lost results in an uncomfortable ride. And finally spring bucket contact pretty much limits lifts to 2 inches or less unless you replace the Upper control arms - Think SPC to stay away from Heim joints

Scott

Great info! Thanks Scott. It feels like you did a lot of the upgrades that are in the OME kit, but in phases. It's no more than 2" lift so I don't need UCAs. Just coilovers up front and AAL in the back. In the future, if I want more lift, I can add spacers and UCAs to the front and shackles to the back so I'm not stuck at 2". And in a pinch, there's always the BL! But my gut tells me that this will be it for a while as I'm not a heavy wheeler. Mostly beach stuff. On the coils, should I get the 607 and just deal with a small nose dive when the bumper is installed or get the 608 and deal with a stiff ride until the bumper goes on?

I also note that the OME lift describes itself as 0-2". I'm assuming that means the front shocks are adjustable. But what about AAL and new shocks would allow me to revert to 0" of lift in the rear?

Also, can I get a general idea of difficulty of install and time needed. I've done some front suspension work before (added spacers) and didn't have much trouble (thank you anti seize) But I've never dealt with the rear. Also, assuming I buy the struts pre-assembled, are there any special tools I would need? I also saw that the kit comes with rear sway bar relocation brackets. Do the front sway bars brackets not relocate?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 pm 
Forum User

"I also note that the OME lift describes itself as 0-2". I'm assuming that means the front shocks are adjustable. But what about AAL and new shocks would allow me to revert to 0" of lift in the rear?"
I can't picture an "add a leaf" without increased lift - it would simply be an overload leaf like our spring pack already has (the flat one). The "add a leaf" increases the pack's spring rate, which in turn means the spring pack won't compress as much since the vehicle weighs the same. You could add weight to zero out the lift, of course fuel mileage and break life will suffer.

"Also, can I get a general idea of difficulty of install and time needed. I've done some front suspension work before (added spacers) and didn't have much trouble (thank you anti seize) But I've never dealt with the rear. Also, assuming I buy the struts pre-assembled, are there any special tools I would need? I also saw that the kit comes with rear sway bar relocation brackets. Do the front sway bars brackets not relocate?"
The front sway bar can handle a couple of inches of lift with little problem. The relocation for the rear prevents link arm failures. Being a wheeler I eventually decided to simply remove both sway bars. As of yet I haven't regretted it.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 am 
Forum User

More good reading on lift options. Again ask questions on what's not clear. I don't know your back ground but it took me a whole bunch of reading and talking to pretty much understand how our suspension works and reacts to changes.

Tools and time? Basic mechanic tools (1/2" drives, breaker bar, pry bar, torque wrench, floor jack, and a small bottle jack should cover everything Vs Home owner tool kit. Since you've done some front end work before I assume you know the difference.

I would also recommend upgrading your jack stands if you haven't yet, a lifted Xterra sits pretty darn high, 6 ton jack stands work much better than 3 ton car jack stands. Even the stock jack comes up kind of short to change 33" tires. I carry a block of wood in my wet box to make up the difference.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Farris on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am 
Supporting Member

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the OME kit but Nisstec won't respond to my request for lead time and installation instructions :mad: :guns:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am 
Supporting Member

For what its worth I just installed the OME lift with the darkar leaf pack. I went for 608 for the front with the expectation of adding the front bumper this year. I like the results it's a little stiff in the front, so you may want the 607.

I would also make sure you stock leaf pack is in good shape , I drive a 2012 and my drive side stock leafs were already broken.

I also am fully armored and the kit holds the weight very good, I should barely notice a diff when I put the schrock bumper on.

The kit came really quick from Nisstech! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm 
Supporting Member

Just ordered the OME kit (AAL, not Dakar)!! I got it with longer studs so I can install spacers in the future if I want. Went with 607s. And, because I didn't spend enough money, I bought the "MPG LOL" sticker :lol:

Between that the WKO sliders on order, my X is about to go through some major growing pains!

Gonna install the lift first, should make installing the sliders a bit easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 pm 
Supporting Member

You will be stoked!!! Can't wait to see it after install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 am 
Supporting Member

I may need to do this in two stages. If I do, am I better off doing the front and driving around nose up or doing the rear and driving with a big rake? I don't expect it to be more than a week or two between the front and rear installs.