It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Post subject: Offroad Gorilla Diff Cover m226
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am 
Noob

So has anyone gone with this diff cover for m226 from off road gorilla?
http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/m226 ... tial-cover

Or any other non oem cover for that matter? What's the benefits? Does it really help with cooling and protection?

I sprung a leak on mine after the northern exposure run and figured I might as well upgrade in the process. I like the price on this one and seems well built. Just looking for some input.
Thanks,
Tim

Trimbrens
LED Interior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 am 
Club Vice President

Can’t speak for the Xterras but I have ARB covers on the Jeep. Better protection than stock for sure but I don’t know if mine help the gears run any cooler.

A good aftermarket diff cover should offer better protection & resist peeling back than stock.

Offroad Gorilla is one of the sponsors for our major events & the owner (Angel) is a regular at ECXC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Offroad Gorilla Diff Cover m226
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm 
Global Moderator

I have a “Ruff Stuff” cover on my d44. "Ruff Stuff" is making these for "Offroad Gorilla". IMHO “Ruff Stuff” covers are the best covers there are for strength and the only one you want. There is no other cover that can compare for strength. Lifetime warranty means this is the last cover you will ever buy for your truck.

Cooling? I doubt that is applicable. IMHO cooling fins on our diff’s is a scam and are only there for aesthetics. :thumbdown:

The seams on this thing are welded inside and out! Crazy over built.

Just a heads up; they use a 9/16 allen wrench to tighten the fill plug, not a 1/2" drive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 pm 
Noob

DirtySocks wrote:
Can’t speak for the Xterras but I have ARB covers on the Jeep. Better protection than stock for sure but I don’t know if mine help the gears run any cooler.

A good aftermarket diff cover should offer better protection & resist peeling back than stock.

Offroad Gorilla is one of the sponsors for our major events & the owner (Angel) is a regular at ECXC.

I feel the same about cooling too. Definately the offroad gorilla is much beefier than stock. Plus they are cheaper with a lifetime warranty! Can't beat that for sure.

Trimbrens
LED Interior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 pm 
Noob

Bklyn.X wrote:
I have a “Ruff Stuff” cover on my d44. "Ruff Stuff" is making these for "Offroad Gorilla". IMHO “Ruff Stuff” covers are the best covers there are for strength and the only one you want. There is no other cover that can compare for strength. Lifetime warranty means this is the last cover you will ever buy for your truck.

Cooling? I doubt that is applicable. IMHO cooling fins on our diff’s is a scam and are only there for aesthetics. :thumbdown:

The seams on this thing are welded inside and out! Crazy over built.

Just a heads up; they use a 9/16 allen wrench to tighten the fill plug, not a 1/2" drive.

Thanks for the input, it looks awesome and overbuilt like you said, more of reason to me to get it. Gonna order one soon tho I'm not crazy about the Allen wrench for the fill plug but I'll deal.

Trimbrens
LED Interior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 pm 
Global Moderator

The socket I linked to in my post is pretty cheap and the one I bought. You could make your own out of a 3/8 bolt with a couple of nuts (head and nuts for a 3/8″ bolt are 9/16 OD). I figured for less than $10 for the Allen socket shipped wtf, just get it and throw it in the tool box

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:33 am 
Forum User

I went w/ the Ballistic Fab - Differential Cover W/ a Lube-Locker Gasket. These covers do have clearance issues on some trucks with the added wall thickness. No problem at all with mine but it may be due to the thick lube-locker gasket. If required issues are addressed by lite chamfering of the cover's inside edge in two places and repositioning the two locking tabs on the diff. Details are on thenewx.org

Today, I think I'd go with the ARB. Either way, if you're going to wheel, replace or reinforce (Shrock) the flimsy stock cover.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm 
Supporting Member

They definitely do something. I think it's debatable the level of protection they offer going forward. By that I mean while they certainly help against peeling the stock cover off should you snag a rock, they just move the failure point to the bolts. Though, with that said, you'd have to be very unlucky to hit one just right where the rock put the entire shock load on the cover only.

Going in reverse, they offer a tremendous improvement in protection. Should you have to backup on an obstacle to reposition and smash the cover into a rock, your ring gear will be saved by the beef instead of being chewed into T1000 paste when the stock cover folds around the gear like Reynolds wrap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm 
Supporting Member

I run with a Rocky Road diff skid. I know a few of us down here in PA that have beat the snot out of them at Rausch and AOAA. The pic is with my stock cover. It's designed for the Titan stock cover, which is a bit thicker. I've since upgraded to the Titan cover and it fits perfectlyImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 am 
Global Moderator

Let me preface this by stating that I am not a mechanic or an engineer. I do not own a 2 Gen. I take my 2001 Xterra off-road and work on it now and then.

So let’s review;

I assume the Rocky Road Guard is THIS ONE made for the Titan. $139. Although the Rocky Road model looks much more robust than the one I had back in the day. I’m not a fan of Diff guards. Sorry Jeff but in the picture you posted it looks like ya threw out the anchor! Ha ha, I mean are you hung up there bro? Mine always got hung up, partly ripped off or completely ripped off. I’m thinking I probably spent the cost of the thing on replacing the hardware on it almost every time it was on the trail. It was a twisted mess by the time I finally gave up and trashed it. This guard looks and most likely is much better than the one I had. Maybe the rear diff on the 2nd Gen needs more protection than just a cover can provide? Educate me bro….it’s just this old guy’s uneducated opinion.

The Offroad Gorilla/Ruff Stuff 3/8 steel you first asked about at $140 is a basic tried and true heavy duty cover.

Ballistic Fab 3/8 steel $140 is also a basic tried and true heavy duty cover.

The ARB at $206 (yikes) has a magnetic dipstick and drain plug. Ballistic Fab and Offroad Gorilla only have fill plugs. The dipstick/high fill hole is both an advantage and a curse. Since the fill hole is high you can adjust the amount of fluid you run in the diff. This is an advantage if you have changed the driveline angle. If you’re running at stock angles you need to check the dipstick to make sure you have the correct amount in there. This doesn’t seem like a big deal unless you’re a lazy f@ck like me and like to just fill the diff ‘til it over flows. I guess the drain plug could be convenient but if I’m draining the fluid out of my diff I like to take a look in there. I mean why else would I drain the fluid? Scheduled maintenance? :freak:

For me the all three covers do the same thing; protect your diff when smashing it into stuff.

The lifetime warranty puts the Offroad Gorilla/Ruff Stuff at the top of my list, then the Ballistic Fab and then the ARB.

IMHO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:26 pm 
Supporting Member

Ha! That rock was wedged between my tire and diff. Would've happened with or without the skid.

I've never had an issue with the hardware or anything with the Rocky road. I think because this one mounts to the trussing or whatever, it's plenty strong.

You lose about 3/4" clearance, but it protects the drain plug on the diff and the lower bolts on the cover.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:00 pm 
Forum User

I'm also using the rocky road skid. I had a BTF diff cover and my drain plug was ground down to paper thin and I barely got it removed. The heads of the lower cover bolts were also all but ground off. The skid is beefy and will take the abuse we give .