It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 am

Post subject: Bedlining Stock Wheels
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am 
Forum User

Per Jeff's request, I'm going to list the steps I used to bedline my Stock "S" aluminum wheels.

First, I popped out the center caps and removed the chrome Nissan emblems. I then broke the outside beads on the wheels and masked off the outside of the wheels and the tires (taping around the outside of the wheel probably would have had the same effect). I've heard that for painting wheels, the "tire wet" will not allow the paint to stick to the tires, but I've never personally done it.

Second, I sanded down to bare metal (probably didn't need to go this far) using 80 grit sandpaper, then reworked with 180 grit. On the plastic centers, I just used the 180 grit to remove the paint. All sanding was done by hand.

Third, I cleaned with acetone to remove all dirt/oil/debris

Last, I hit them with 4 light coats of bedliner. I've been told that the lighter the coats, the rougher the surface. With thicker coats, it's said that the finish is a bit smoother. For the center caps, I think I only used 3 coats. I then reinstalled the center caps and put in the chrome Nissan emblems

So far, I'm very happy with the look and functionality of the bedliner. I'm hoping that it will fade a little and the color will be closer to matching the "Night Armor" paint on my X.

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan