It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 325
Location: Medway, MA
Hi guys. Starting to think about next steps on my suspension. Current setup is OME 2" lift (AAL in the rear). Pretty sure I'm doing 2" strut top spacers for the front (along with aftermarket UCAs). For the rear, should I do a second AAL or adjustable shackles? I'm leaning towards the shackles to balance the ride with the first AAL and because they're easier to install. Is there any reason why I should favor AAL over shackles? Are there any other options worth considering? At up to 4" of total lift (all suspension, no body) do I need to get into any geometry corrections (rear leafs already shimmed.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:00 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:19 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Glenside, PA
Your half shafts are going to start to bind once you get over 3ish" with a stock width setup. Not to mention that your down travel will be terrible, resulting in a terrible ride quality. You're better off saving up and Titan swapping if you want that much lift and off-road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:05 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 325
Location: Medway, MA
JeffPro4x wrote:
Your half shafts are going to start to bind once you get over 3ish" with a stock width setup. Not to mention that your down travel will be terrible, resulting in a terrible ride quality. You're better off saving up and Titan swapping if you want that much lift and off-road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


Soooo....focus on getting a sealed intake and snorkel? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 pm 
Offline
Club Treasurer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 3868
Location: West Hartford, CT
At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket.... save your money. The more you wheel, the clearer the picture of what you actually need gets.

A snorkel is great looking but of minimal use IMO, unless you run through water above your tires. Wind noise, reduces visibility, cutting into the fender... lots of negatives for just looks. And yes, I had to talk myself out of getting one too :-)

Figure out what you really need by wheeling the rig. It’s also nice to have something in the bank for when the inevitable breakage happens. Broken lights, sideview mirrors, door surrounds, axle shafts, etc. get expensive to replace (ask me how I know).




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:03 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Chester, ma.
DirtySocks wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket.... save your money. The more you wheel, the clearer the picture of what you actually need gets.

A snorkel is great looking but of minimal use IMO, unless you run through water above your tires. Wind noise, reduces visibility, cutting into the fender... lots of negatives for just looks. And yes, I had to talk myself out of getting one too :-)

Figure out what you really need by wheeling the rig. It’s also nice to have something in the bank for when the inevitable breakage happens. Broken lights, sideview mirrors, door surrounds, axle shafts, etc. get expensive to replace (ask me how I know).




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's why I went with 2" and 33s gave me a little more. My motto is, my X may be blue, but the trails will remain green. That's where I'm comfortable. Along with my budget. It's also tough, because when you show up at events, everybody becomes envious of others rigs. But it's what works best for you.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 325
Location: Medway, MA
Well the Hefty Fab bumper should be here within a month and then it's HF skids. At that point I'll have a pretty capable rig and may switch to trying to squeeze a few HP out of the engine since regearing is not feasible for me right now. I also had my subwoofer blow so that's in the financial mix as well.

I do keep a repair "slush fund" with about $500. Don't want to get caught with my pants down!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:52 pm 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:03 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Chester, ma.
BostonX wrote:
Well the Hefty Fab bumper should be here within a month and then it's HF skids. At that point I'll have a pretty capable rig and may switch to trying to squeeze a few HP out of the engine since regearing is not feasible for me right now. I also had my subwoofer blow so that's in the financial mix as well.

I do keep a repair "slush fund" with about $500. Don't want to get caught with my pants down!
I got my sliders and skids on there way as well. I should call rock auto and get a couple of cv's and u-joints.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline
Events Committee Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 am
Posts: 753
Location: e. long, mass
I would like to say, I’m running OME HD coilovers and a 2” lift top plate spacer in the front of my Frontier. That assembly is no taller than the extended travel Radflos. You will have no more travel than you have now, it’ll just be 2” higher. You will definitely need UCA’s. I’m running SPC’s. I’ve had this setup for about a year and a half. I did loose a CV. That was because I forgot I was in 4wd with 305/75’s and made a hard turn on pavement. Too much traction. The CV was the weak link.

_________________
John Murphy
E. Longmeadow, MA.
TheNewX. ClubFrontier. NEA4WD Delegate.
NEXterra Events Committee Member.
My X. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9534
Frontier. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103 ... ss-176241/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 325
Location: Medway, MA
John I'm not sure if that was an endorsement or a warning

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:38 pm 
Offline
Events Committee Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 am
Posts: 753
Location: e. long, mass
Both. I wanted to let it be known it’s possible to run that setup. Even though most frown upon it.

And remind everyone to take it out of 4wd on the pavement. Things break.

I think the CV break was unrelated to the lift. I’m sure it would have happened at factory height.

_________________
John Murphy
E. Longmeadow, MA.
TheNewX. ClubFrontier. NEA4WD Delegate.
NEXterra Events Committee Member.
My X. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9534
Frontier. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103 ... ss-176241/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 325
Location: Medway, MA
Maybe I'll split the difference and go with 1" spacers and shackles.

Can you guys confirm that SPC and Mevotech are the same UCA?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift - Stage 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline
Events Committee Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 am
Posts: 753
Location: e. long, mass
Definitely exactly the same. I have one on the Frontier and had the other on the Xterra, before it was Titan width. The Mevotec ball joint even says SPC on it.

_________________
John Murphy
E. Longmeadow, MA.
TheNewX. ClubFrontier. NEA4WD Delegate.
NEXterra Events Committee Member.
My X. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9534
Frontier. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103 ... ss-176241/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Theme designed by stylerbb.net & programy © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.266s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]
All times are UTC - 5 hours