It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 pm

Post subject: Need some quick advice on tire size.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm 
Forum User

Looking at 285/75/16 or 305/70/16. On 2" lift and 1-1/2 wheel spacers. What do you all think. I have 265/75/16 now.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Need some quick advice on tire size.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:32 pm 
Supporting Member

285/75/16 are very popular and can be fit easily on your rig. despite your lift, you may still need to do some minor adjustment to the wheel well liner (melt mod) to avoid rub at full wheel lock. I see no reason why 305/70/16 shouldn't be the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm 
Forum User

BostonX wrote:
285/75/16 are very popular and can be fit easily on your rig. despite your lift, you may still need to do some minor adjustment to the wheel well liner (melt mod) to avoid rub at full wheel lock. I see no reason why 305/70/16 shouldn't be the same.
I was thinking more of a wider tire, but I do realize wider is not better, it just looks meaner lol. I'm trying to order dick cepeks, but it seems like all the good deals on them are far from available.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:46 pm 
Supporting Member

Tires fall into the category of you get what you pay for, imho. I purchased a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3s for about $660 installed. They have been awesome. Even wear, good road manners, no highway droning. and a lot cheaper than BFG. They have a 55,000 mile treadware warranty and are the only AT (besides BFG) that I'm aware of to carry the Three Peak Mountain (means they're great in the snow.) Other popular tires are the BFG AT KO and the Wrangler Duratrac though AT/MT blends like the Dick Cepeks and the Mickey Thompson (they have the same parent company) are gaining popularity. If you'e looking to save a buck, I've seen General Grabbers priced well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 pm 
Forum User

BostonX wrote:
Tires fall into the category of you get what you pay for, imho. I purchased a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3s for about $660 installed. They have been awesome. Even wear, good road manners, no highway droning. and a lot cheaper than BFG. They have a 55,000 mile treadware warranty and are the only AT (besides BFG) that I'm aware of to carry the Three Peak Mountain (means they're great in the snow.) Other popular tires are the BFG AT KO and the Wrangler Duratrac though AT/MT blends like the Dick Cepeks and the Mickey Thompson (they have the same parent company) are gaining popularity. If you'e looking to save a buck, I've seen General Grabbers priced well.
I have the falken wildpeaks as well, but there 265/75/16, I want bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:29 pm 
Supporting Member

masshole413 wrote:
BostonX wrote:

They come in 285.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 pm 
Forum User

BostonX wrote:
masshole413 wrote:
BostonX wrote:

They come in 285.

Oh I know, the cepeks are just so.......burly lol. There are definitely a lot to choose from, minus the $900 dollar price tag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm 
Forum User

masshole413 wrote:
BostonX wrote:
masshole413 wrote:
[quote="BostonX"]Tires fall into the category of you get what you pay for, imho. I purchased a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3s for about $660 installed. They have been awesome. Even wear, good road manners, no highway droning. and a lot cheaper than BFG. They have a 55,000 mile treadware warranty and are the only AT (besides BFG) that I'm aware of to carry the Three Peak Mountain (means they're great in the snow.) Other popular tires are the BFG AT KO and the Wrangler Duratrac though AT/MT blends like the Dick Cepeks and the Mickey Thompson (they have the same parent company) are gaining popularity. If you'e looking to save a buck, I've seen General Grabbers priced well.

They come in 285.

Oh I know, the cepeks are just so.......burly lol. There are definitely a lot to choose from, minus the $900 dollar price tag

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk[/quote]I'm a sucker...,ordered the cepeks 285/75/r16. $824 free shipping I figure, if I'm going to ride with the best, I mine as well ride on the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm 
Forum User

Any Mud Terrain is going to be expensive compared to an AT. You’re best bet is still an AT. Unless you’re wheeling all the time or on the type of trails that you need every ounce of traction you can get.

If cost is a big limiting factor take a look at the Tread Wright Wardens. I had great luck with them. As tempting as they may be stay away from their MT. I had two failures with them. While Tread Wright rectified the issue promptly each time, they are heavy, wear in evenly, and are loud as all hell.

With whatever tire you choose, get 5. That way you can do a 5 tire rotation and it allows you to get a little bit more mileage out of them. I’m at almost 40k on my Kenda MTs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:58 pm 
Forum User

Ripper wrote:
Any Mud Terrain is going to be expensive compared to an AT. You’re best bet is still an AT. Unless you’re wheeling all the time or on the type of trails that you need every ounce of traction you can get.

If cost is a big limiting factor take a look at the Tread Wright Wardens. I had great luck with them. As tempting as they may be stay away from their MT. I had two failures with them. While Tread Wright rectified the issue promptly each time, they are heavy, wear in evenly, and are loud as all hell.

With whatever tire you choose, get 5. That way you can do a 5 tire rotation and it allows you to get a little bit more mileage out of them. I’m at almost 40k on my Kenda MTs.
I got the cepeks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am 
Supporting Member

Speaking of 5th tires....I currently have the stock spare on my tire carrier. Really want to change that out to a 285. It does not need to be in great condition, or even good, just serviceable. Any AT or MT in 285 will do. Thinking around $30. Anybody have one?