It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm

Post subject: Mix and Match?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:26 pm 
Supporting Member

I've been in contact with both Hefty and PP as I'm trying to get some skid plates in place for B2SR. P&P costs less, and they can deliver 1/8" bare steel shipped in a couple of weeks. Hefty, of course, takes longer and costs more (though it would be 3/16")

My original plan was to buy all skids except the rad from PP, then get the bumper and rad skid from Hefty. But PP says that their skids kind of overlap and mixing a Hefty rad with PP engine skid would not work. I could go 100% PP (the Evil Monkey tube bumper isn't bad) but I really want the Hefty tube bumper. It seems like I have to pick one, and go with them soup to nuts.

Does anybody have any experience mixing and matching skids?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mix and Match?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 pm 
Club Secretary

From front to back I have: Hefty radiator skid, Shrockworks engine, trans, t-case, gas tank.

The gas skid is separate. So there should be no compatibility issues.

The radiator skid laps over the engine skid. They use the same holes, bolts go through both into the cross member. Again, should be no compatibility issues.

The engine skid laps over the trans skid, similar to the radiator/engine setup. The bolts run through both skids into the crossmember. Should be no issues.

The trans skid and the t-case skid butt up to one another. One uses the inside 2 holes. One uses the outside 2 holes. Those 4 bolt holes are in line with each other. So one skid nests into the other. These two should be ordered together. To make sure they fit.

This all goes out the window if PP’s skids are sectioned off differently than Shrockworks or Hefty. I’m not familiar with PP’s products.

I’d check into shipping cost savings if you were to order all the skids from the same vendor. The shipping cost may not be that much more if you’re shipping 4 skids vs. 2. Some or maybe all of your savings could be eaten up by shipping from 2 locations.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:06 pm 
Club Vice President

Do you have sliders already? If not, make sure you add those to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:15 pm 
Supporting Member

Yep, White Knuckle. Thanks for the info John. I'm likely going to bite the bullet and go all Hefty. Hopefully GG greens dont require skids,as they wont be here in time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:19 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
From front to back I have: Hefty radiator skid, Shrockworks engine, trans, t-case, gas tank.

The gas skid is separate. So there should be no compatibility issues.

The radiator skid laps over the engine skid. They use the same holes, bolts go through both into the cross member. Again, should be no compatibility issues.

The engine skid laps over the trans skid, similar to the radiator/engine setup. The bolts run through both skids into the crossmember. Should be no issues.

The trans skid and the t-case skid butt up to one another. One uses the inside 2 holes. One uses the outside 2 holes. Those 4 bolt holes are in line with each other. So one skid nests into the other. These two should be ordered together. To make sure they fit.

This all goes out the window if PP’s skids are sectioned off differently than Shrockworks or Hefty. I’m not familiar with PP’s products.

I’d check into shipping cost savings if you were to order all the skids from the same vendor. The shipping cost may not be that much more if you’re shipping 4 skids vs. 2. Some or maybe all of your savings could be eaten up by shipping from 2 locations.
PP are based off the diy skid files floating around. I do think i recall hearing something about them mounting differently and the rad/engine skid being a single plate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 pm 
Club Secretary

Also the Hefty aluminum skids are broken up differently.

Edit; I’ll add that I’m not sure I’d trust 1/8” skids for the t-case or gas skid. They are just so long. They may be fine for the shorter engine or trans skids.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534