It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Post subject: 11 year old spare tire.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:02 pm 
Forum User

So I thought I'd start checking things now before the B2SR. I DROPPED the spare tire down, and if course after 11 years of it being stuffed underneath it was rusty as could be. So I grinded it all down and repainted it with flat black. Tire is still a brand new dirty bf goodwrench. Decided probably better to leave it on the top of the X. Any ideas for a good cheap roof rack basket for the top of the X?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 11 year old spare tire.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 pm 
Noob

‍♂️ use the stock rack. Adjust the crossbars and strap the tire to them with 2 ratcheting straps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm 
Forum User

So much for stuffing the mother in law in a basket
PonyBoyXterra wrote:
‍♂️ use the stock rack. Adjust the crossbars and strap the tire to them with 2 ratcheting straps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 pm 
Supporting Member

I'd suspect it to have some dry rotted being 11 years old. Don't think I'd trust it

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:57 pm 
Forum User

JeffPro4x wrote:
I'd suspect it to have some dry rotted being 11 years old. Don't think I'd trust it

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
I wouldn't either, I kept my other tires from the upgrade, so I'll have one put on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 pm 
Club Vice President

It’ll be easier to stuff it in the back. Getting it off the roof on the trail if needed can’t be that easy, I would imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:49 pm 
Global Moderator

DirtySocks wrote:
It’ll be easier to stuff it in the back. Getting it off the roof on the trail if needed can’t be that easy, I would imagine.

The rigs are high enough too, never mind the horror of pulling off the rack. I stuffed mine in the back until the carrier came in. To each their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm 
Forum User

Fiachra wrote:
DirtySocks wrote:

The rigs are high enough too, never mind the horror of pulling off the rack. I stuffed mine in the back until the carrier came in. To each their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Help me I'm poor, and short. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:32 pm 
Noob

I put mine at ECXC on the roof with the stock rails and strapped... it was egh. I didn't like it because it would shift even strapped down. Then moved it to in between the rails sitting on the roof and it did much better for the weekend. Then taking it down wasn't that bad but still a pain. If you can put it in the back for the run portion it will work best. When driving tho you can hear the wind blow past the tire when on the roof. If you dont care about it then its fine.
As far as a cheap rack, look on amazon there is one that is lower profile for like $67/$68 or so but dont know about shipping tho. Just make sure if you get one of the cheaper ones you spray paint it really good bc they rust fairly quickly but they work. Sometimes the hardware is crap too.

I have since put my spare back under the X. LOL

Thats my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm 
Forum User

ErikaJayneX wrote:
I put mine at ECXC on the roof with the stock rails and strapped... it was egh. I didn't like it because it would shift even strapped down. Then moved it to in between the rails sitting on the roof and it did much better for the weekend. Then taking it down wasn't that bad but still a pain. If you can put it in the back for the run portion it will work best. When driving tho you can hear the wind blow past the tire when on the roof. If you dont care about it then its fine.
As far as a cheap rack, look on amazon there is one that is lower profile for like $67/$68 or so but dont know about shipping tho. Just make sure if you get one of the cheaper ones you spray paint it really good bc they rust fairly quickly but they work. Sometimes the hardware is crap too.

I have since put my spare back under the X. LOL

Thats my 2 cents.
Well said! I just put a new tire on the rim. And put it up on the stock rack with 2 ratchets, crossed 4 times, it ain't moving. Just took me a few different attempts to figure out the best position. Yet another fail for xterra not having tiedown points. But I will get a basket soon enough and plastidip it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:26 pm 
Noob

I wouldn't PlastiDip, do the rustoleum or truck bedliner with at least 3ish+ coats. The Plastidip will peal off fast especially if things are being slid on and off it. Spay paint is cheapest at Walmart. (done my fair share of it). I have the same idea getting a roof rack for camping and offroad adventures for the extra space. Plastic tool boxes are light enough and you can pack whatever you want in it. They range from $25-$60 or so depending on size and quality.
I literally just got home from camping yesterday. I have more and better ideas to reduce what I bring, organize it better (at least until I do a build in area in the back with some plugs for electricity) and what I want out of it. (My wife requires things so the bulk of stuff is really for her HAHAHA!)

Also when I took mine out form under the first time is was rusted bad too. Had to clean it up. Checked the chain that holds it up, it was pretty rusty but still good!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm 
Forum User

ErikaJayneX wrote:
I wouldn't PlastiDip, do the rustoleum or truck bedliner with at least 3ish+ coats. The Plastidip will peal off fast especially if things are being slid on and off it. Spay paint is cheapest at Walmart. (done my fair share of it). I have the same idea getting a roof rack for camping and offroad adventures for the extra space. Plastic tool boxes are light enough and you can pack whatever you want in it. They range from $25-$60 or so depending on size and quality.
I literally just got home from camping yesterday. I have more and better ideas to reduce what I bring, organize it better (at least until I do a build in area in the back with some plugs for electricity) and what I want out of it. (My wife requires things so the bulk of stuff is really for her HAHAHA!)

Also when I took mine out form under the first time is was rusted bad too. Had to clean it up. Checked the chain that holds it up, it was pretty rusty but still good!!
Bringing 2 vehicals to B2SR, just in case, lol