It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing the waters...'04 NA V6 4x4 auto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:09 pm 
Forum User

Testing the waters/gauging interest/seeing what people think I could realistically get for my truck...

2004 Nissan Xterra, 3.3L non-SC V6, 4x4, auto, 4.9 gearing. 117,550 miles as of 7/31/16

Currently my DD, it sees 200 miles of highway driving plus maybe 25 miles of around town driving a week in a normal week.

THE BAD:

- Needs (or will need) rocker panels. They're pretty rotten and have some nice holes
- Rear fenders have some rust/rot. Didn't find it until I pulled the plastic fender trim
- 4 or 5 very small (pencil eraser) spots of rust on body and hatch
- Starter is going out, every now and then I have to climb underneath and tap it with a chunk of wood to make it turn over
- Needs front O2 sensor - I forget if it's left or right
- Needs brake shoes, have them in the garage just haven't had the time

THE GOOD/BRIEF MAINTENANCE RECORD: (I left out oil/fluid changes)

- PML with AC adjustable shackles in the rear and Sway Away torsion bars up front (no record of when I did this, I'm working on figuring it out)
- Rancho RS5000 shocks for 3" lift(no record of when I installed them, but it was pretty early on in my ownership)
- Gas struts installed on hood
- RLC Welding & Fabrication rear bumper w/ recovery points, 2" receiver, swing out tire carrier
- US Steel 16"x8" matte black steel wheels, 5" backspacing
- 265/75/16 load range E BFG All Terrains with 5/16" tread remaining. Always rotated on a 5-tire pattern so they're all the same wear
- AC Idler Arm brace installed at 67,xxx
- K&N drop-in filter
- DIY snorkel
- Napa reman'd power steering gearbox installed at 73,xxx
- Plugs and wires at 84,xxx
- Moog ball joints (upper & lower), center link, Deeza TRE's with AC Heavy-duty TRA's, Raybestos pads & rotors, all wheel studs and lug nuts, Warn premium manual hubs all installed at 87,xxx
- Nissan timing belt, water pump, all accessory belts, thermostat, all hoses, SC radiator, transmission cooler hoses, Doug Thorley headers, secondary catalytic converters, muffler and all exhaust piping, O2 sensors and CEL eliminators installed at 88,xxx
- Fuel filter changed at 89,xxx
- Lower steering column recall done at 92,xxx
- Brake drums, all parking brake cables & related parts done around 111,xxx
- Valve cover gasket job done by professional mechanic at 113,xxx

There was other small work done in there too, EGR tube, PCV valve, etc.

I have no idea what to realistically ask for my truck. It's had enough major work done to it that I feel it's very reliable, but the body rot needs attention if this is going to continue to be a DD. Given the issue with the starter, I'm starting to wonder how much more money and time I want to put into it. I'm mostly considering selling because I'm getting bored with it, the love just isn't the same as it once was and I'd like a pickup truck...or maybe just something not so gutless and maybe better on gas...

Please, feel free to post here what you think I could realistically ask for my truck, or make offers, etc.

Thanks for looking.

Here's a bunch of pics I took this afternoon:

Post subject: Re: Testing the waters...'04 NA V6 4x4 auto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:22 pm 
Forum User

Before anybody asks or suggests it, sorry but I will not be doing a partout. Too time-consuming. The most I would do if I sell it is consider selling the RLC separately if the buyer was cool with it. I do still have the factory bumper and hitch but would need OE plate lights, mounting hardware and frame stiffeners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:48 am 
Club President

Man, sucks to see you selling this, Kyle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:00 am 
Forum User

MtDewMike wrote:
Man, sucks to see you selling this, Kyle.

I agree, but I don't really see it going anywhere honestly. I expect I'll wind up fixing the starter, brakes, and O2, then doing a quick and dirty (and ugly) patch job on the rotten rockers and fenders and then just driving it until the state says the rust is too bad. Then it'll have to be a strict wheeling rig for somebody else (best case) or I'll pull whatever parts I can salvage for resale and scrap the rest.

It does suck that the truck has gotten so boring to me, it's not fun to drive anymore and the dying starter really doesn't make me look forward to driving it, either. I know that can be fixed, but how much more money do I want to put into it? How much longer do I think I can expect it to last before catastrophic failure of something out of my budget and experience level, you know? It's been a great truck but I'm starting to feel like it's a ticking time bomb of sorts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:30 am 
Forum User

This can get locked down/deleted, please.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]