Post subject: Rausch Creek FAQ
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:01 pm 
Global Moderator

Updated 9/28/2023
453 Molleystown Road
Pine Grove, PA 17963
570-695-3900
Email: info@rc4x4.org
First time visitors to Rausch Creek should check out their site LINK.
There you can find the current cost (yikes!), park rules and maps.
The trail network consists of existing forest roads and trails that were cut open by hand. The trails are marked with signs and color-coded maps are provided. The trails are rated:

Green - trails range in difficulty from flat dirt roads to slightly off-camber and small rocks and/or mild mud/water crossings. 4wd may not be needed for entire trail. Sliders and Undercarriage protection (skids) recommended but not required. Trails are good for inexperienced wheelers and bone stock vehicles. Threat of vehicle damage is at a minimum if you drive responsibly, however brush scratches are possible. During nice weather OEM tires should be ok however if you are planning to continue on this self-destructive course do yourself a favor and get some more aggressive tires yo!

Blue - trails will be rockier, may have more off camber situations, may include rocky mud/water crossings and offer more of a challenge for slightly modified vehicles. Bone stock vehicles with an experienced driver can handle some of these trails, but without skid plates and rock sliders, both undercarriage damage and rocker panel damage should be expected. The threat of damage on these trails should not be unexpected. Careless or inattentive driving will result in body damage. Obstacles will require the use 4wd. Sliders, minimum 31" aggressive (MT or AT) tires are required, undercarriage protection are recommended.

Blue/Black (Purple) - trails are rocky, tight and off-camber. Most of these trails should only be attempted with a 33" tire or larger aggressive tires. Full protection of the undercarriage and rocker panels is advisable (unless you just don't care about your truck). Any vehicle with tires smaller than 33" will spend a good part of the day at the end of a tow strap or winch.

Black - trails include very large rocks, very off-camber sections and are usually tight to make them that much harder. 33" tires or larger aggressive tires, 1 locking device OR a winch and undercarriage and rocker panel protection is required. Aftermarket front bumper recommended. Likelihood of getting stuck is high. Body damage should be expected.

Red – if you need a description of a Red trail you should only be on one as a spectator...

Several trails have many bypasses so that groups of different levels can run a trail together.
It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the maps and ratings so you can decide what you want to run before you get to the park.
So you can save a bit of time and anxiety the morning of your visit you will want to download and print out the membership application/waiver HERE and the parental waiver (if you need it) HERE so you can fill them out BEFORE you get to the park and bring it (them) with you.
Everyone from NEXTerra will be willing to help. No one will ever scold you or put you down if you don't do something you should have, at least until you've been out with us a few times and then you can feel free to break my balls for forgetting all the crap I asked you to remember. :roll: Most of us enjoy trying to turn new people on to our hobby, so there is an effort made by the NEXTerra officers and staff to help new people have a good time.
The truck you plan to wheel should be in good working condition. You are going to abuse it. We will never leave you stranded however recovering it off the trail can be problematic.
The stock step rails on the Xterra are made to help your grandmother get into your truck. They tend to do more damage than good if they come in contact with a rock. Same with the mud flaps. They're easy to take off, a few bolts, unless you try to do it at 7:30 in the morning in the Rausch Creek parking lot while a bunch of grumpy guys are waiting on you. :roll:
If your Spare Tire is still under your truck it can be real PITA to lower access it when you have a flat trail. The spare also limits your departure angle if you're dropping off some ledge when it's under your truck. You might want to move and strap it down.
After relocating your spare the chain that was holding it in place is going to hang down, if your luck is anything like mine it will catch on something and rip it off making it imposable to put the tire, zip tie it up. :D
CB radios seem to be out of favor so you should have an FRS/GMRS radio, ether a handheld or installed in your truck. I have a CB, GMRS and FRS handheld. I'm not a fan of radio chatter on the trails however they are a cheap and easy addition to your gear that will make life easier for you and your trail leader.
Food and drink: Always bring water or something to keep you hydrated. You're probably going to want to eat something when the group stops for lunch. I normally bum half a sandwich off Dennis. It's at the point that he plans, and I expect him to have it for me. If you don't have a friend like this or if he's not going to be on the trail with me, I'll bring a breakfast bar or something from home.
IMHO the minimum a person wants to have with them to run Green type trails with a NEXterra group;
Air pressure gauge
Basic Tool Set
Full Size Spare Tire
Tow Strap (no metal hooks)
D-Ring or two
Vehicle jack capable of lifting your truck enough to change your tire on the trail.
Work Gloves
Water
Snack or food

When you get into the parking lot a half hour before everyone else and the office isn't open yet for you to check in; take out your Tire pressure gauge and air down your tires to 20-15 pounds and make sure everything is strapped down in your truck.

Last edited by Bklyn.X on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 pm 
Forum User

bklyn.x wrote:
When you get into the parking lot a half hour before everyone else and the office isn?t open yet for you to check in; :D

Tom there are very few of us who arrive early. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:41 pm 
Global Moderator

I knew you'd like that one. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:44 pm 
Forum User

bklyn.x wrote:
I knew you'd like that one. :lol:

I knew it would be in there just had to read the entire thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:54 pm 
Forum User

Nice write up Tom! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:16 pm 
im down cant wait to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:01 pm 
Forum User

thats a great write up tom...i'm gonna make that its own "sticky" topic on the board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:10 pm 
Forum User

You never have to do an obstacle you are unsure about. No one here will make fun of you if you choose a bypass.

That being said, we all drive pretty similar trucks, so if the guy in front of you can do it, you probaby can too. Watch a couple of other people go over/around/through, and then give it a try! (The only way to learn this is to DO it).

NEVER be afraid to ask for a spotter if you are unsure!!! A couple extra minutes to spot someone through can save a lot of time in recovery, damage, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:46 am 
Global Moderator

Well said Anthony.
We are going to a park, not heading into uncharted wilderness by ourselves. What keeps me coming back to this insanity is accepting a challenge with some great people, figuring out how best to over come it safely and then, hopefully, enjoying the satisfaction when we all succeed. If you bring your truck to the run, accept the challenge with us and run that bitch. Everyone here wants you to succeed, will help you in any way they can and will never knowingly put you in any danger... but when all is said and done its your truck, you are the only one responsible for it and your safety. Not your spotter, not the group, not the park, YOU. If some wise a$$ from Brooklyn gives you a hard time (more than ?I know you can make it?) because you don?t feel comfortable crashing through some rock garden you just saw him trash his exhaust system on tell him to go F%#K HIMSELF! You can?t trust that MF?er anyways. If you or your truck gets f%#ked up you will be paying the price, not some a$$hole you met online.

Sounds like fun, right? :D

What a bunch of morons we are. Every time people find out I take my truck off-road I feel like such an idiot trying to explain why. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Updated 9/28/2023
Here are some useful physical addresses and phone numbers:

Rausch Creek Off Road Park
453 Molleystown Road
Tremont, PA 17981
Park Contact Info:
Lynn 570-640-0194
Bruce 610-842-3596

ECXC campground;
Twin Grove Park & Campground
1445 Suedberg Road
Pine Grove, PA 17963
Exit 100 off 81 then west on rt.443, 14 miles from Rausch
(717) 865-4602

There is primitive camping at Rausch that is included with admission. Pack in and pack out what you need. There is porta-potty service at the main parking lot. There is room for tow rigs and trailer parking as well as for RVs and pop-ups. they have firewood and ice for sale at the office. All camping is by prior arrangement by emailing info@rc4x4.org.

Hotels nearest to Twin Grove;
Exit 100 off of I-81 (5 miles from Twin Grove Park)

Hampton Inn, 481 Suedberg Rd. Pine Grove, PA 17963 (570) 345-4505 (preferred)
Comfort Inn, 433 Suedberg Rd. Pine Grove, PA 17963 (570) 345-8031
Baymont Inn, 419 Suedberg Rd. Pine Grove, PA 17963 (570) 345-4099
Knights Inn 347 Suedberg Rd. Pine Grove, PA 17963 (570) 345-8095

Gas Near Twin Grove;
Barr's Sunoco
418 Suedberg Road
Pine Grove, PA
(570) 345-8729

CLOSED as of 9/23/2023
Pilot Travel Plaza‎
(Gas, Dinner, Subway, Dairy Queen, Beer)
Exit 100 off of I-81 (5 miles)
490 Suedberg Road
Pine Grove, PA
(570) 345-8800

Gas Near Rausch;
Exxon (closest to Rausch, exit 104 I-81)
10 Molleystown Rd
Pine Grove, PA
(570) 345-2498
(There is a Burger King there and a quick-mart. )

Speedway
6 Tremont Rd.
Pine Grove, PA 17963
(convenience-store chain with grab-&-go food, plus hot & cold beverages)

Beer:
Beer Mountain (closer to Twin Grove)
297 Suedberg Rd # 4
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania 17963
Email: info@beermountaindistributors.com
Closes 8 PM
Phone: 570-915-6124
https://beermountaindistributors.com/

Daubert Distributors (across from Speedway, closer to Rausch)
18 Tremont Rd
Pine Grove, PA 17963
(570) 345-2337
Closes at 8pm

Grocery Store
BG’s Value Market
162 east Pottsville Street (rt 443)
Pine Grove, PA‎ - (570) 345-0464‎

Nearest Hospital;
Reading Hospital (33 miles)
420 South 5th Avenue
West Reading, PA 19611
(484)628-8000

Weather in PA now;

Last edited by Bklyn.X on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm 
Supporting Member

Updated 9/28/2023
Here's another usefull contact. U-haul. I always get the number and address of a local U-haul place to trail I'm going to incase my rig breaks and I gotta get it home. It'll be way cheaper to rent a truck and trailer from there then to get a tow back home. And way better than having it towed to a local Nissan dealer to be fixed, and if your not from the area getting back down there to pick it up.

U-HAUL OF LEBANON
(717)274-3681
1440 CUMBERLAND ST
(RT 422)
LEBANON , PA 17042
8.0 miles from the campground

Mon-Th: 7am-7pm
Fri: 7am-8pm
Sat: 7am-7pm
Sun: 9am-5pm

I figured I'd also throw these up there as well. Here's a few local parts places incase anything is needed..

Maguires Nissan (now Moyer Nissan)
2201 Cumberland st.
Lebanon,PA
717-272-7671

Autozone
2515 Cumberland st.
Lebanon,PA
717-274-8994

Advance Auto parts
1450 Cumberland st.
Lebanon, PA
717-306-4201

Carquest auto parts
1101 Cumberland st.
Lebanon, PA
717-272-3024
CLOSED

Napa auto parts
329 S Tulpehocken st.
Pine Grove, PA
570-345-3491
CLOSED

Oh and for you people bringing dogs or any other pets along for that matter.

Lebanon Valley animal hospital
2213 Cumberland St
Lebanon, PA 17042
(717) 272-3223
CLOSED

Pine Grove Animal Clinic
473 Suedberg Road,
Pine Grove, PA 17963
(570) 514-4231

Feed related

Brandt's Feed Mill
630 N 9th st.
Lebanon, PA
717-272-6781
http://www.brandtsmill.com

Petsmart
1125 Quentin Rd
Lebanon, PA 17042
(717) 273-8070

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:03 pm 
Supporting Member

All good information to have on hand - so thank you Tom and Gene... I know that I'll be printing / copying / retaining that information for next week.

As for trails and new(er) members.. Tom is right on the money.. I listened to him, watched others and still asked questions my first ECXC and didn't have anyone give me a hard time about any of it. Now that I'm a little more seasoned and have done some trails that I used to think were just not possible, I feel far more confident in where I go and what I run, but when it comes down to it, it's because of this group that I have been able learn most of what I have so far - and still know that I have a lot more to learn.

Post subject: Re: Rausch Creek FAQ
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:51 pm 
Global Moderator

Holy crap this shit was out of date! It has been Updated 9/28/2023
I cleaned it up, fixed outdated links, edited the OP, confirmed/edited the physical address posts Gene and I had put up (Nearest Hospital info was wrong :roll: ).

Post subject: Re: Rausch Creek FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:24 am 
Club President

:thumbup: