It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

Post subject: Re: 31 March Mod Day?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm 
Forum User

yeah good point probably worth waiting until the spring...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 pm 
Forum User

u got it Rome!!!hey Mike how long is suspension lift i know that ill do rear in 1 1/2 huors but how bad is the front?uca and re index torsions?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:04 pm 
Supporting Member

mixxali4 wrote:
u got it Rome!!!hey Mike how long is suspension lift i know that ill do rear in 1 1/2 huors but how bad is the front?uca and re index torsions?

The front can be quick or long - depending upon what it is that you want to do with regards to the old parts. If you want to do it quickly, get a plasma torch and cut the UCAs at the top (not the brackets, just where the bolts run through). If you want to take fewer chances that something will burn through, get a sawzall and some very tough blades (at least a dozen) and then cut the bolts off since they are likely stuck on the inside of the bushings and no amount of pounding will get them out.

Reindexing can be a pain in the rear if your t-bars are semi rust welded in there. But, if you PB Blast the hell out of them for a couple of weeks before trying (both at the front and rear), they tend to pop out and then it's just a matter of getting the anchors lined up and cranking away.

If you decide to cut the bolts and PB Blast the t-bars, the front end can be done in about 4 hours. If not, it can be an all day effort that will be frustrating and annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:14 pm 
Forum User

ok f@ck old ucas and the t bars r mayb 4 month old and yes i know the way with plasma i got urs with calipers etc.in my basement! so i should start sprying then cause new cam bolts is in my house all im waiting for is bandit4x4 leaf pack the rest i got!u dont think i can cut ucas with grinder cause cutting it with sawzal can B Pita?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm 
Noob

I'm in for this if you guys can give me a hand to install a PRG advanced kit with Alcans. I've done loads of reading but I'm not that experienced at wrenching so a hand would be great.

Is there anything i need to do to prep for this? I figure i just need to PB the hell out of the relevant bolts for 2-weeks before hand....

I'm like a kid at Xmas cannot wait to get it fitted :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 am 
Forum User

Just got an email confirming my PRG stuff has shipped. So ill have an AAL, rear bilsteins, plus adjustable bilsteins up front to install.

I have been trying to find a clear answer to this through the search but haven't come up with one. The adjustable 5100 bilstein front shocks, can they be installed fairly easy? Does it require taking the coil off?

14' JKU Sport
Stock(for now)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am 
Supporting Member

07xterraS wrote:
Just got an email confirming my PRG stuff has shipped. So ill have an AAL, rear bilsteins, plus adjustable bilsteins up front to install.

I have been trying to find a clear answer to this through the search but haven't come up with one. The adjustable 5100 bilstein front shocks, can they be installed fairly easy? Does it require taking the coil off?

I'm more familiar with the 1st gens, but I believe that you do need to pop the coil in order to swap out the shocks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am 
Noob

07xterraS wrote:

You need to use a spring compressor to compress your spring on your current shock assembly so you are able to remove the top in order to switch the spring to the adjustable Bilstein. You need to be very careful when handling a compressed spring, they can be dangerous.

Last edited by saltus440 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 pm 
Noob

mixxali4 wrote:
ok f@ck old ucas and the t bars r mayb 4 month old and yes i know the way with plasma i got urs with calipers etc.in my basement! so i should start sprying then cause new cam bolts is in my house all im waiting for is bandit4x4 leaf pack the rest i got!u dont think i can cut ucas with grinder cause cutting it with sawzal can B Pita?

Mike, you wouldn't be able to get a grinder with a cutting wheel in far enough to cut all the way through the UCA bolt. Sawzall is a better fit. Pick up some cutting oil to apply to your blades or you will wreck them quick. Grab some good quality blades too, the cheap ones will get you nowhere. Also if you are installing SLR control arms make sure to check the length of the bolts for the ball joints. SLR shipped a bunch with bolts that were too short and barely threaded in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 pm 
Forum User

saltus440 wrote:
07xterraS wrote:

You need to use a spring compressor to remove your spring from your current shock assembly so you are able to remove the top in order to switch the spring to the adjustable Bilstein. You need to be very careful when handling a compressed spring, they can be dangerous.

This is what I thought it was gonna be like. I'll have to start looking for a local shop that will do it(do it right) for a good price.

14' JKU Sport
Stock(for now)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Forum User

Mike, you wouldn't be able to get a grinder with a cutting wheel in far enough to cut all the way through the UCA bolt. Sawzall is a better fit. Pick up some cutting oil to apply to your blades or you will wreck them quick. Grab some good quality blades too, the cheap ones will get you nowhere. Also if you are installing SLR control arms make sure to check the length of the bolts for the ball joints. SLR shipped a bunch with bolts that were too short and barely threaded in.[/quote]
thanx for advise!!!u want to help me do it?and where the f@ck u been?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 pm 
Noob

mixxali4 wrote:
Mike, you wouldn't be able to get a grinder with a cutting wheel in far enough to cut all the way through the UCA bolt. Sawzall is a better fit. Pick up some cutting oil to apply to your blades or you will wreck them quick. Grab some good quality blades too, the cheap ones will get you nowhere. Also if you are installing SLR control arms make sure to check the length of the bolts for the ball joints. SLR shipped a bunch with bolts that were too short and barely threaded in.

thanx for advise!!!u want to help me do it?and where the f@ck u been?[/quote]

I might be able to stop by and help for a bit.Where is the mod day location at? I've been trying to keep busy, just bought a bunch of new equipment so now I have to bring some $ in to pay for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 pm 
Forum User

its gona b in the ma maybe its easier if i come to u?if u want to help me do it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:45 pm 
Noob

Im there, will most likely be blacking out my rear bumper and side panels, the side trim panel and my rims. Might have more to do...kinda hoping so!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 pm 
Forum User

If I have anything left to do to my truck by then, I'll be in.

›»»»›‹«««‹